Legoland Discovery Centre
Legoland Discovery Centre Manchester
Number of locations
Legoland Discovery Centre is an indoor family attraction chain operated by British leisure group Merlin Entertainments. Featuring models and attractions inspired by the Lego building toys, the Discovery Centres are smaller versions of the Legoland theme parks located around the world.
A typical Legoland Discovery Centre occupies approximately 30,000–35,000 square feet (2,790–3,250 m2) of floor area. Like the larger Legoland parks, Discovery Centres include "Miniland" attractions, which feature models of local landmarks rendered in Lego bricks. Visitors can also learn how the Lego bricks are manufactured or take part in classes taught by model builders. Locations may also include localized attractions and 4-D movie theatres. All attractions are included in the admission cost to the Centre.
A number of children's attractions, such as small rides and play fortresses, are also available. The Centres can host birthday parties as well as scholastic and group functions and also include restaurants and gift shops selling Lego merchandise.
It should be noted that these centers are not connected with the Lego company, the stores at these centers are not official Lego stores and do not accept Lego cash nor do they accept the Lego ViP card for points on purchases.
The target audience for the Legoland Discovery Centre is families with young children, normally ages 3 through 12; though a typical location's average guest is about seven years of age. Discovery Centres are located near other family-friendly attractions and dining establishments. In a given year, a single facility can host approximately 400,000 to 600,000 visitors.
- Legoland Discovery Centre Berlin at Potsdamer Straße, Berlin, Germany (opened in 2007, first Legoland Discovery Centre)
- Legoland Discovery Centre Oberhausen at Oberhausen, Germany (opened March 14, 2013, relocated from Duisburg)
- Legoland Discovery Center Chicago at Schaumburg, Illinois, United States (opened in 2008, first Legoland Discovery Centre in the United States)
- Legoland Discovery Center Atlanta at Atlanta, Georgia, United States (opened in 2012)
- Legoland Discovery Center Kansas City at Kansas City, Missouri, United States (opened on April 29, 2012)
- Legoland Discovery Center Dallas Fort Worth at Grapevine Mills, Grapevine, Texas, United States (opened in 2011)
- Legoland Discovery Center Westchester at Yonkers, New York, United States (opened March 27, 2013)
- Legoland Discovery Center Boston at Assembly Square, Somerville, Massachusetts United States (opened May 23, 2014)
- Legoland Discovery Centre Manchester at Trafford Centre, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom (opened 2010)
- Legoland Discovery Center Tokyo (レゴランド·ディスカバリー·センター Regorando· disukabarī· sentā?) at Minato, Tokyo, Japan (opened June 2012)
- Legoland Discovery Centre Toronto at Vaughan Mills, Vaughan, Canada (opened March 1, 2013)
- Legoland Discovery Centre Michigan at Great Lakes Crossing Outlets in Auburn Hills, Michigan (opened March 2016)
- Legoland Discovery Center Arizona at Arizona Mills in Tempe, Arizona (opened April 22, 2016)
Former Legoland Discovery Centres:
- Legoland Discovery Centre Duisburg at Duisburg, Germany (opened in 2008, closed in 2012 for relocation)
A LEGOLAND Discovery Centre, Osaka, Tempenzen Mall, due to open 2015.
LEGOLAND Discovery Centre, Melbourne, Australia is due to open at Chadstone Shopping Centre in 2017. This will be the first Lego themed attraction for Merlin Entertainments in the Southern Hemisphere.
In 2015, it was announced that a Legoland Discovery Center would be constructed at the Plymouth Meeting Mall in the Philadelphia suburb of Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania. Construction is scheduled to begin in summer 2016 with a planned opening in 2017.
- Rachel Tobin Ramos (2009-10-23). "Legoland scouting Atlanta sites. Is a wax museum next?". Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Retrieved 2009-10-24.
- Andrew Herrmann (2008-06-15). "A little local Legoland headed our way". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 2009-10-24.
- Paul R. Taylor (2009-07-01). "Legoland to open at Trafford Centre". Manchester Evening News. Retrieved 2009-10-24.
- Terry Pristin (2009-05-19). "At $2.3 Billion, This Mall Could Be Too Big to Fail". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-10-24.
- "Legoland Discovery Centre Coming to Istanbul". EuroProfessional Amusement. April 9, 2014. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- "Legoland to open Discovery Center in Osaka". Travel Daily Asia. July 23, 2014. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- Adelman, Jacob (December 7, 2015). "PREIT hopes Lego Discovery Center will boost Plymouth Meeting". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved December 8, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Legoland Discovery Centre.|