|Eurovision Song Contest 2004 entry|
David D'Or, Ofer Meiri
|◄ "Words for Love" (2003)|
|"HaSheket SheNish'ar" (2005) ►|
"Leha'amin" (Hebrew script: להאמין; English translation: "To Believe") was the Israeli entry in the Eurovision Song Contest 2004, held in Istanbul. The song was performed in Hebrew and English by David D'Or, who was selected to represent the country by the Israel Broadcasting Authority (IBA) in November 2003. The song, co-written by D'Or and Ehud Manor, is a ballad, with lyrics about the need to maintain faith in the basic goodness of humanity, despite considerable evidence to the contrary.
The song was chosen on February 5, 2004, in voting during the program "Israel Selects a Song", held during a break in a televised Maccabi Tel Aviv Euroleague basketball game. A selection of four songs sung by D'Or were offered in the voting. A special IBA Eurovision Committee (including prior Israeli entrants Lior Narkis and Gali Atari) accounted for 40% of the vote, and a televote by viewers accounted for the remaining 60%. The basketball game attracted 13.7% of Israeli TV viewers. The song won 60% of the jury's vote and 66% of the televotes.
D'Or performed the song in Istanbul on May 12, 2004. During Eurovision rehearsal week, D'Or left Istanbul to be with his father, who had to have one of his legs amputated due to complications of diabetes. His father has since died.
As Israel had not finished in the top 10 at the 2003 Contest, the song was performed in the semifinal. Here, it was performed fifth, following Latvia's Fomins & Kleins with "Dziesma par laimi", and preceding Andorra's Marta Roure with "Jugarem a estimar-nos". It received 57 points, placing 11th in a field of 22, while 19% of Israeli viewers watched on television. The song missed qualifying for the final by one position – thus requiring Israel to qualify from the semifinal at their next Contest appearance.
- "Singing a song of harmony". Australian Jewish News. February 27, 2008. Archived from the original on September 20, 2008. Retrieved May 2, 2009.
- "Israeli lyricist Ehud Manor passes away at age 64". ESCtoday.com. April 12, 2005. Archived from the original on July 10, 2011. Retrieved July 29, 2015.
- "News". ESCtoday.com. May 5, 2004. Archived from the original on February 17, 2005. Retrieved July 29, 2015.
- "High rating figuresl Israel: More than 400,000 watched Mauda". ESCtoday.com. February 28, 2008. Archived from the original on November 6, 2008. Retrieved July 29, 2015.
- "Israel 2004; Israel: David D'Or regrets doing Eurovision". ESCtoday.com. August 3, 2008. Archived from the original on February 19, 2012. Retrieved July 29, 2015.
- "D'Or received proposals; Disappointing viewing figures in Israel". ESCtoday.com. May 17, 2004. Retrieved May 7, 2009.
Milim La'Ahava (Words for Love) – Lior Narkis
| Israel in the Eurovision Song Contest
HaSheket SheNish'ar – Shiri Maimon
|This Israel-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|