|Operator||Leicestershire Aero Club|
|Elevation AMSL||469 ft / 143 m|
Leicester Airport (IATA: LRC, ICAO: EGBG) is an aerodrome located to the east of Stoughton, Leicestershire, England, about 5 nautical miles (9.3 km; 5.8 mi) east of Leicester City Centre by road. It operates private flying, lessons and training. The airfield was constructed in 1942 as part of the former RAF station, RAF Leicester East. The facility was named Stoughton Aerodrome prior to 1974.
The airport has a CAA Ordinary Licence (Number P720) that allows flights for the public transport of passengers or for flying instruction as authorised by the licensee—Leicestershire Aero Club Limited. However, the airport does not currently operate public transport services.
Air Traffic Services are provided by "Leicester Radio" on a frequency of 122.125 MHz.
Proposed creation of an Eco-town
The Leicester Mercury reported in January 2008 that plans build a new eco-town on the site of the airport were under consideration, and on 3 April 2008 it was announced that the Pennbury proposal was one of fifteen sites shortlisted for the next phase of public consultations. However, a more recent report stated the eco-town would be built elsewhere.
In December 2011, a pilot was killed and two others were injured, when two light aircraft collided in mid-air, near the airport.
- Leicester - EGBG
- "Pilot dies in two-plane crash near Leicester Airport". BBC News. 2011-12-18. Retrieved 2011-12-18.
- Civil Aviation Authority Aerodrome Ordinary Licences Archived 28 June 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- NATS Aeronautical Information Service
- BBC: 'Eco-towns' shortlist is revealed
- "New plan for eco-town showcased in secret". Leicester Mercury. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Leicester Airport.|
- Leicestershire Aero Club management
- Helicentre Aviation Ltd. (Official Helicopter Operator at Leicester Airport)
- One Leicester
- Video: Leicestershire Aero Club celebrates centenary from BBC Radio Leicester
|This article about an airport in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|