Samuel Leigh (bookseller)
Samuel Leigh was a bookseller and publisher in 19th century London. His office stood on the Strand. From around 1806 to 1814 he conducted business with James Mathews in the partnership of "Mathews and Leigh." He also married Mathews' daughter. Leigh died by his own hand in 1831.
Leigh's travel guides
In the 1820s–1830s Leigh issued a series of eponymous travel guide books to Europe. He also published travel writing by authors such as Edmund Boyce, Johann Gottfried Ebel, Edward Planta, Heinrich August Ottokar Reichard, Mariano Vasi.
- Reichard (1816), An Itinerary of France and Belgium, London: Samuel Leigh,
Translated from the French
- New Picture of Brussels, and its Environs, or, Stranger's Guide to the Curiosities of that Interesting City, London: Samuel Leigh, 1820, OCLC 63579821
- Edmund Boyce (1823). Belgian Traveller (4th ed.). + index
- Edward Augustus Domeier (1830), A Descriptive Road-Book of Germany, London: Samuel Leigh
- Thomas Brettell (1840), A Topographical and Historical Guide to the Isle of Wight, London: Leigh and Co., 421 Strand
Leigh's travel guides
- Leigh's New Picture of England and Wales, 18 Strand, London: Samuel Leigh, 1820 + Index
- Leigh's New Pocket Road-book of England, Wales, and Part of Scotland, on the Plan of Reichard's Itineraries, London: Samuel Leigh, 1825, OCLC 83070941
- Nouveau tableau de Londres de Leigh (in French), Londres: Samuel Leigh, 1825
- Leigh's New Pocket Road-Book of Ireland, on the Plan of Reichard's Itineraries;, London: Samuel Leigh, 1827
- Leigh's New Pocket Road-Book of Scotland, London: S. Leigh, 1829
- Leigh's New Picture of London, Samuel Leigh, 1830 + Index
- Leigh's Guide to Wales & Monmouthshire, London: Samuel Leigh, 1831
- Leigh's Guide to the Lakes and Mountains of Cumberland, Westmoreland, and Lancashire, London: Leigh and Son, 1835
- Leigh's New Descriptive Road Book of Germany, London: Leigh and Son, 1837 + Index
- "James Mathews", The London book trades 1775–1800: a preliminary checklist of members, Exeter Working Papers in British Book Trade History, retrieved 28 August 2013
- Edward Planta (1815), "Books Published by Samuel Leigh, 18 Strand (Late Mathews and Leigh)", New Picture of Paris, London: Samuel Leigh
- "Case of Mrs. Leigh", The Athenaeum, 6 November 1841
- "Edmund Boyce". WorldCat.
- "Edward Planta". WorldCat.
- "Mariano Vasi". WorldCat.
- "Guides for Travellers on the Continent", Leigh's New Pocket Road-Book of England and Wales (7th ed.), London: Leigh and Son, 1839
- "James Mathews Leigh", Art Journal, 1 July 1860
- "Guide Books: Continental Guide Books, Etc.", The Bookseller, London, 3 July 1872
- Herbert George Fordham (1914), Studies in Carto-Bibliography, British and French, Clarendon Press
- "Literary Criticism: Itineraries, Guide and Road Boks", Edinburgh Literary Journal, 5 September 1829