Leigh Martin May
|Leigh Martin May|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia|
Assumed office |
November 14, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Beverly B. Martin|
Leigh Holladay Martin|
1971 (age 46–47)
Georgia Institute of Technology (B.S.)|
University of Georgia School of Law (J.D.)
Leigh Martin May (born 1971) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia.
May received a Bachelor of Science degree, cum laude, in 1993 from the Georgia Institute of Technology. She received a Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, in 1998 from University of Georgia School of Law. From 1998 to 2000, she served as a law clerk to Judge Dudley H. Bowen, Jr. of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Georgia. From 2000 to 2014, she was a partner at the Atlanta office of the law firm of Butler, Wooten & Fryhofer LLP, where her practice focused on complex civil litigation in both state and federal courts. She was formerly the Vice Chair of the Litigation Section of the Atlanta Bar Association.
Federal judicial service
On December 19, 2013, President Obama nominated May to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, to the seat vacated by Judge Beverly B. Martin, whose service terminated on February 1, 2010, due to her elevation to the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. She received a hearing before the full panel of the United States Senate Judiciary Committee on May 13, 2014. On June 19, 2014, her nomination was reported out of committee by voice vote. On September 18, 2014, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid filed for cloture on her nomination. On Wednesday, November 12, 2014, the Senate voted to invoke cloture by a vote of 67-30. On Thursday, November 13, 2014, the Senate voted 99-0 in favor of final confirmation. She received her judicial commission on November 14, 2014.
- "President Obama Nominates Eight to Serve on the United States District Courts". 19 December 2013.
- "May, Leigh Martin - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate". 19 December 2013.
- "Judicial Nominations". United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary.
- "Executive Business Meeting" (PDF). United States Senate. Committee on the Judiciary. Retrieved 19 June 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 272. United States Senate. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 274. United States Senate. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- Leigh Martin May at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Leigh Martin May at Ballotpedia
Beverly B. Martin
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia