Leigh Mercer (1893–1977) was a noted British wordplay and recreational mathematics expert. He is best known for devising the celebrated palindrome "A man, a plan, a canal — Panama!".
The following mathematical limerick is attributed to him:
This is read as follows:
- A dozen, a gross, and a score
- Plus three times the square root of four
- Divided by seven
- Plus five times eleven
- Is nine squared and not a bit more.
- ^ Published in Notes and Queries, 13 Nov. 1948, according to The Yale Book of Quotations, F. R. Shapiro, ed. (2006, ISBN 0-300-10798-6).
- ^ "Math Mayhem". Lhup.edu. Retrieved 2011-06-29.