Leioa town hall
|Autonomous Community||Basque Country|
|• Total||8.5 km2 (3.3 sq mi)|
|Elevation(AMSL)||30 m (100 ft)|
|• Density||3,600/km2 (9,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (GMT +2) (UTC+2)|
|Area code(s)||+34 (Spain) + 94 (Biscay)|
Leioa (Spanish: Lejona) is a municipality in Biscay, Basque Country, in northern Spain. It is located south of Getxo and Bergando delimitating east and south with Erandio. Today it is part of the Bilbao conurbation. Its population stands at approximately 30.400.Leioa has a sufrace of 8,36 km2. The Udondo river establishes eastern limit of the municipality.
It has its origins in 1526, before that year it was part of the "anteiglesia de Erandio". It was a village with no more than 8000 people until the 1960s, when development came its way, as Bilbao expanded. Its population experienced a rapid increase in the 1970s, and a more moderate growth afterwards. Is become a part of metropolitan Bilbao.
- Peruri, Zuazu, Sarriena, Santsoena y Lertuche.
- Tellería, Basáñez, Artazagane, Negurigane y Aldekoane.
- Artaza, Elejalde, Ikea Mendi, Udondo, Mendibile y Santimami.
- Pinueta, Lamiako, Los Chopos, Ondiz, Txorierri, Aketxe e Ibaiondo (Santa Ana).
The municipality of Leioa still retains much of its agricultural past and out of the urban centre many traditional Basque houses can still be seen on little family farms, though rapid development puts their long-term future in question. The University of the Basque Country (EHU-UPV Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea - Universidad del Pais Vasco) has most faculties within this municipality.
- May 29: “San Máximo” festivity in Lamiako.
- June 24: “San Juan Bautista” festivity in Elexalde.
- August 24: “San Bartolomé” festivity in Basaez.
- September 8: “Ntra. Sra. De los Remedios” festivity in Ondiz.
- May 15: “San Isidro” festivity.
- August 17: Fiestas de Santi Mami.
- September 10: Fiestas de Udondo.
- September 29: Fiestas de San Miguel de Txopoeta.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Leioa.|
- LEIOA in the Bernardo Estornés Lasa - Auñamendi Encyclopedia (Euskomedia Fundazioa) (Spanish)
|This article about a location in the Basque Country, Spain, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|