Alde Valley Academy
Alde Valley Academy Logo 2012-
|Motto||'Achievement for All' & 'Learn, Grow, Prosper'|
|Principal||Miss E Laflin|
|Vice Principal||Mrs J Woolley|
|Academy Regional Director||Mr A Fell|
|DfE URN||141236 Tables|
|Ofsted||Reports Pre-academy reports|
|Colours||Navy Blue & Sky Blue|
|Website||Alde Valley Academy|
Alde Valley Academy (pronounced Orld Valley Academy) is a secondary school and sixth form with academy status in Leiston in the English county of Suffolk. It has approximately 712 pupils aged 11 to 18, including around 200 in the sixth form. It draws pupils from the surrounding coastal area, including the towns of Leiston, Aldeburgh and Saxmundham.
The academy was previously known as Leiston Community High School and was, for many years a 13 to 18 school. In September 2012, as part of reorganisation of high school education in Suffolk, the school became an 11 to 18 school and rebranded itself as Alde Valley School, a name chosen to reflect its large and rural catchment area. On 1st January 2015, Alde Valley School converted to an academy sponsored by the Bright Tribe Trust. The school is now known as Alde Valley Academy.
The academy's Principal is Miss Emma Laflin and its Vice Principal is Mrs Jane Woolley.
The academy's ethos is underpinned the motto 'Achievement for All'.
The academy has been a specialist technology college since 2001 and also has an applied learning specialism. The academy is part of the North Suffolk partnership and played a leading role in the setting up of a vocational skills centre based in Halesworth. It has achieved Healthy Schools status as well as being commended by BECTA for its curriculum and achieving the Information Technology mark. It was named Suffolk Sports School of the Year in 2009.
The academy has a sixth form of around 200 students. Following reorganisation in 2012, a dedicated sixth form centre was created in the centre of Leiston on Waterloo Avenue, leaving years 7 to 11 on the main Seaward Avenue site. As a result of funding from the Bright Tribe Trust, from September 2015, the sixth form and post 16 will move to a newly refurbished centre on the main school site.
- Leiston Community High School profile, Suffolk County Council. Retrieved 30 March 2011.
- Potter.T (2012) Leiston: Pupils take first lessons in new-look high school, East Anglian Daily Times, 6 September 2012. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
- Robinson.C (2011) Leiston: Headteacher outlines vision of high school’s future, East Anglian Daily Times, 4 October 2011. Retrieved 17 December 2011.
- Leiston Community High School: Ofsted Report, Ofsted, 4 October 2010. Retrieved 1 April 2011.
- Nuttall.D (2005) Suffolk pupils set new GCSE record, East Anglian Daily Times, 13 January 2005. Retrieved 17 December 2011.
- Work starts on pioneering skills centre, East Anglian Daily Times, 2 December 2006. Retrieved 17 December 2011.
- Robinson.C (2011) Leiston: ‘Overwhelming’ support for Alde Valley School, East Anglian Daily Times, 11 October 2011. Retrieved 17 December 2011.
- Green.D (2007) School benefits from station link-up, East Anglian Daily Times, 20 January 2007. Retrieved 17 December 2011.
- Waveney students become energy ambassadors, Eastern Daily Press, 19 September 2012. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
- Department for Education profile
- Suffolk County Council profile
- Alde Valley Academy Website
- Bright Tribe Website (Academy Sponsor)