Location of Lemay, Missouri
|• Total||4.5 sq mi (11.7 km2)|
|• Land||4.3 sq mi (11.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||472 ft (144 m)|
|• Density||3,700/sq mi (1,400/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0765705|
Lemay is located at (38.532552, -90.285332).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 4.5 square miles (12 km2), of which 4.3 square miles (11 km2) is land and 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2), or 4.19%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 17,215 people, 7,186 households, and 4,390 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 3,959.0 people per square mile (1,528.0/km²). There were 7,580 housing units at an average density of 1,743.2/sq mi (672.8/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 98.51% White, 0.02% African American, 0.007% Native American, 0.53% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.66% from other races, and 0.96% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.03%.
There were 7,186 households out of which 26.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 43.6% were married couples living together, 12.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.9% were non-families. 34.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.33 and the average family size was 2.99.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 22.8% under the age of 18, 7.7% from 18 to 24, 27.9% from 25 to 44, 21.4% from 45 to 64, and 20.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 89.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.0 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $34,559, and the median income for a family was $41,128. Males had a median income of $31,886 versus $25,388 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $18,730. About 7.1% of families and 10.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.2% of those under the age of 18 and 11.3% of those ages 65 and older.
The River City Casino is located in Lemay.
Hancock is the primary school district in Lemay. Hancock enrolls approximately 1600 students. Hancock High School is located at 229 West Ripa Ave. Hancock Middle School is located at 243 West Ripa Ave. Hancock Elementary School is located at 9101 South Broadway Ave. Hancock Early Childhood Center is located at 9417 South Broadway Ave.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Lemay CDP, Missouri". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved October 26, 2011.
- http://www.frontdoor.com/city-guide/lemay-mo-usa. Missing or empty
- Template:Http://www.boomerater.com/newsurroundings/cities-and-towns-in-missouri-to-relocate-or-retire?cities tgp no=4&cities tgp limit=10
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Hancock School District