|Studio album by Therion|
|Released||24 May 2004|
|Language||English & German|
Digipack: NB 1295-0
|Producer||Lars Nissen, Therion|
Lemuria is the eleventh full-length musical album by symphonic metal band Therion. The album title refers to the name of a supposed sunken continent Lemuria, much like Atlantis. It was released simultaneously with Sirius B. Cover artwork was made by Thomas Ewerhard. This album also features the return of Johnsson's death growl in several of its tracks, marking the band's first use of this vocal style in nearly a decade.
- "Typhon" – 4:36
- "Uthark Runa" – 4:41
- "Three Ships of Berik, Part 1: Calling to Arms and Fighting the Battle" – 3:19
- "Three Ships of Berik, Part 2: Victory!" – 0:44
- "Lemuria" – 4:15 sample (help·info)
- "Quetzalcoatl" – 3:47
- "The Dreams of Swedenborg" – 4:58
- "An Arrow from the Sun" – 5:54
- "Abraxas" – 5:21
- "Feuer Overtüre/Prometheus Entfesselt" – 4:39
Concept of lyrics
- Typhon was a monster in Greek mythology. According to Aeschylus, he fought all the gods of Olympus: Zeus defeated him and chained him under Mount Etna, from where his rage creates eruptions.
- Futhark was a runic alphabet used by various Germanic peoples; Uthark is an occult interpretation of said alphabet.
- Berik is the mythological chief of all Gothic tribes: according to Jordanes, he departed from his Scandinavian motherland with three ships. The crews of the ships were the ancestors of the three Goth tribes.
- Lemuria was a hypothetical "lost land", like Atlantis.
- Quetzalcoatl is an Aztec deity.
- Abaris was a legendary sage and priest of Apollo.
- Emanuel Swedenborg was an 18th-century occultist.
- Abraxas is a Gnostic word of great importance.
- Christofer Johnsson - lead vocals ("Typhon", "Three Ships of Berik part 1: Calling to Arms and Fighting the Battle"), rhythm guitar, keyboards ("An Arrow from the Sun", "Feuer Overtüre / Prometheus Entfesselt"), classical and choir arrangements
- Kristian Niemann - lead guitar, acoustic guitar
- Johan Niemann - bass guitar
- Steen Rasmussen - mellotron ("Lemuria"), Hammond organ
- Jens Nyborg - balalaika, domra
- Sven Lindblad - balalaika
- Kavi Björkqvist - balalaika
- Richard Evensand - drums
- Mats Levén - lead vocals ("Uthark Runa"), rock and roll vocals ("Abraxas")
- Piotr Wawrzeniuk - lead vocals ("Lemuria", "The Dreams of Swedenborg", "Feuer Overtüre / Prometheus Entfesselt")
- Peter Mossman - narration ("Lemuria")
- Orchestra: Prague Philharmonic Orchestra (conducted by Adam Klemens and Mario Klemens)
- Choir: Kūhn Mixed Choir (conducted by Mario Klemens)
|Dutch Albums Chart||76|