Lemvig is a municipality (Danish, kommune) in Region Midtjylland on the west coast of the Jutland peninsula in west Denmark. The municipality covers an area of 516.63 km², and has a population of 20,657 (1 January 2015). Its mayor is Erik Flyvholm, a member of the Venstre (Liberal Party) political party.
The main town and the site of its municipal council is the town of Lemvig. The town has a population of 6,966.
The current municipality was enlarged on January 1, 2007 as the result of Kommunalreformen ("The Municipal Reform" of 2007) when the former Thyborøn-Harboøre municipality was merged into the existing Lemvig municipality.
A significant part of its southern border is defined by the waters of Bøvling Fjord, Indfjorden and Nissum Fjord. A string of islands define the western perimeter of the waters south of the municipality; some of these islands belong to the municipality, and others belong to its southern neighbor, Ulfborg-Vemb. These waters at the municipality's southern border, encompassing the three fjords, plus Fejsted Kog is a national park.
The Lem Cove (Lem Vig) leads into the town of Lemvig from Nissum Bredning. Lake Ferring (Ferring Sø) lies north of the town of Ferring.
The municipality was originally created in 1970 as the result of a kommunalreform ("Municipal Reform") that merged a number of existing parishes:
- Bøvling Parish
- Dybe Parish
- Fabjerg Parish
- Ferring Parish
- Fjaltring Parish
- Flynder Parish
- Gudum Parish
- Heldum Parish
- Hove Parish
- Hygum Parish
- Lemvig Parish
- Lomborg Parish
- Møborg Parish
- Nees Parish
- Nørlem Parish
- Nørre Nissum Parish
- Ramme Parish
- Rom Parish
- Trans Parish
- Tørring Parish
- Vandborg Nissum Parish
- The museum of religious art (Museet for religiøs kunst)
- Bovbjerg Fyr, a light tower at the western coast near Ferring
- Ramme Dige
- Jens Søndergård Museum in Ferring
- Lemvig Museum in the town of Lemvig
- The planetstien ("planet trail") at the edge of Lemvig town shows a model of the solar system at a scale of 1:1.000.000.000. In a small park at the edge of the town you find the sun, 1.4 metres in diameter. The other planets follow along a path far out of town, represented as small bronze balls on granite pedestals. The outer planet, Pluto, is nearly 5 kilometres away from the sun. The trail is part of the Lemvig Museum.
The town of Lemvig
- Municipality's official website
- Lemvig tourist bureau (in English, German and Danish)
- Lemvig Gliding Club, the airfield, the district and some history
- Big international footballtournament in Lemvig
- The biggest youth basketball tournament in Denmark
- Municipal statistics: NetBorger Kommunefakta, delivered from KMD aka Kommunedata (Municipal Data)
- Municipal mergers and neighbors: Eniro new municipalities map
- Limfjordscup Big international footballtournament in Lemvig