Leonard Joel (Len) Bass (born ca 1944) is an American software engineer, Emeritus professor and former researcher at the Software Engineering Institute (SEI), particularly known for his contributions on software architecture in practice.
Bass received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from Purdue University in 1970 under supervision of Paul Ruel Young with the thesis, entitled "Hierarchies based on computational complexity and irregularities of class determining measured sets."
Bass was appointed Professor of Computer Science at the University of Rhode Island in 1970. In 1986 he moved to the Software Engineering Institute at the Carnegie Mellon University, where he started as head of the user-interface software group, and later focussed on analysis of software architectures. Since 2011 he is Senior Principal Researcher at NICTA, National ICT Australia.
Len Bass was awarded the Software Development Magazine's Jolt Productivity Award twice in 1999 and 2003.
- Abowd, G., Bass, L., Clements, P., Kazman, R., & Northrop, L. (1997).Recommended Best Industrial Practice for Software Architecture Evaluation(No. CMU/SEI-96-TR-025). Carnegie-Mellon Univ Pittsburgh Pa Software Engineering Inst.
- Clements, P., Garlan, D., Bass, L., Stafford, J., Nord, R., Ivers, J., & Little, R. (2002). Documenting software architectures: views and beyond. Pearson Education.
Articles, a selection:
- Kazman, R., Bass, L., Webb, M., & Abowd, G. (1994, May). "SAAM: A method for analyzing the properties of software architectures." In Proceedings of the 16th international conference on Software engineering (pp. 81–90). IEEE Computer Society Press.
- Kazman, R., Abowd, G., Bass, L., & Clements, P. (1996). "Scenario-based analysis of software architecture." Software, IEEE, 13(6), 47-55.
- Bass, L. [lenbass]. (2016, July 31). Networking [Video file]. Retrieved from http://presentationtube.com/watch/?v=zFZAGr8vLfJ
- Bass, L. [lenbass]. (2016, July 30). Virtual Machine [Video file]. Retrieved from http://presentationtube.com/watch/?v=Kr5HPhduAXj
- Fielding, Roy Thomas. Architectural styles and the design of network-based software architectures. Diss. University of California, Irvine, 2000.
- Bosch, Jan. Design and use of software architectures: adopting and evolving a product-line approach. Pearson Education, 2000.
- Len Bass at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Len Bass at nicta.com.au. Accessed 10. 2014.
- Leonard J. Bass at DBLP Bibliography Server