Leningrad performing in 2007. Shnurov (left) and Baretsky
|Also known as||Gruppirovka Leningrad|
|Origin||Saint Petersburg, Russia|
|Years active||1997–2008 2010–|
Aleksey Kanev "Lekha"
Leningrad (Russian: Ленинград), also known as Gruppirovka Leningrad (Russian: Группировка "Ленинград") and Bandformirovanie Leningrad (Russian: Бандформирование "Ленинград"), is a popular Russian rock band from Saint Petersburg (formerly Leningrad), led by Sergey "Shnur" Shnurov.
Composed of 14 members, the band was founded in the late 1990s. Leningrad soon became notorious for vulgar lyrics (including lots of Russian mat) and celebration of alcoholism, which were also the main reasons most radio stations initially avoided the band. This did not stop Leningrad's growing popularity, partly because of the rich brass sound. The band eventually made its way to radio and TV (with censored words bleeped out), with Shnurov even presenting some New Year's Eve TV shows.
In 2007 the group began experimenting with female backup vocals, finally choosing jazz singer Yuliya Kogan as a permanent band member.
Disbanded in 2008, Leningrad reunited in 2010. Several new songs and videos have been released since, most of them featuring lead vocals by Kogan rather than Shnur.
As Shnurov said himself: "Our songs are just about the good sides of life, vodka and girls that is."
The band was so disliked by the then mayor of Moscow Yuriy Luzhkov, that he cancelled all of its attempted large-scale events in the city during his term in office. Leningrad's numerous performances in Moscow were therefore limited to privately owned night clubs and bars.
A particular focus of the band's lyrics are mainstream cultural and political clichés. Kandidaty - pidory ("Candidates are faggots"), the refrain of their 2007 song "Vybory", became a widespread post-Soviet meme referring to electoral abstention. The 2010 song I Bolsche Nikovo ("And Nobody Else (That I Love")) addresses Saint Petersburg's intended image as "Russia's cultural capital", ridiculed with the use of mat and references to alcoholism and street crime.
Leningrad songs appeared in several popular pulp and crime films, notably DMB and Bimmer. Three songs by Leningrad appeared prominently on the soundtrack to the 2005 film Everything Is Illuminated. "Nikogo Ne Zhalko" is one of the songs used in the video game Grand Theft Auto IV. In 2015, Leningrad's song "Lastochka" was featured in the ending credits of the vampire horror comedy "What We Do In The Shadows."
- Sergei "Shnur" Shnurov (Сергей "Шнур" Шнуров) - vocals, arrangement, lyrics, guitar, bass (1997 - 2008, 2010–present)
- Vyacheslav "Sevych" Antonov (Вячеслав "Севыч" Антонов ) - backing vocals, maracas (2000 - 2008, 2010–present)
- Aleksandr "Puzo" Popov (Александр "Пузо" Попов) - bass drum, percussion, vocals (1997 - 2008, 2010–present)
- Andrey "Antonych" Antonenko (Андрей "Антоныч" Антоненко) - tuba, arrangement, accordion, keyboards (1997 - 2008, 2010–present)
- Grigoriy "Zontik" Zontov (Григорий "Зонтик" Зонтов) - tenor saxophone (2002 - 2008, 2010–present)
- Roman "Shukher" Parygin (Роман "Шухер" Парыгин) - trumpet (2002 - 2008, 2010–present)
- Andrey "Ded" Kurayev (Андрей "Дед" Кураев) - bass (2002 - 2008, 2010–present)
- Ilya "Pianist" Rogachevskiy (Илья "Пианист" Рогачевский) - keyboard (2002 - 2008, 2010–present)
- Konstantin "Limon" Limonov (Константин "Лимон" Лимонов) - guitar (2002 - 2008, 2010–present)
- Vladislav "Valdik" Aleksandrov (Владислав "Валдик" Александров) - trombone (2002 - 2008, 2010–present)
- Aleksey Kanev "Lekha" (Алексей "Лёха" Канев) - baritone saxophone, alto saxophone (2002 - 2008, 2010–present)
- Denis Mozhin (Денис Можин) - sound director (2002 - 2008), drums (2010 - present)
- Aleksey "Micksher" Kalinin (Алексей "Микшер" Калинин) - drums, percussion (1997 - 2002, 2006-2008, 2010 - present)
- Florida Chanturia - vocals, backing vocals (2016 - present)
- Vasilisa Starshova - vocals, backing vocals (2016 - present)
- Yuliya "Yulia" Kogan (Юлия "Юля" Коган) - vocals, backing vocals (2007 -2008, 2010 - 2013)
- Igor Vdovin (Игорь Вдовин) - vocal, guitar (1997 - 1999)
- Roman "Romero" Fockin (Роман "Ромеро" Фокин) - saxophone (1997 - 2002)
- Alexander "Sashko" Privalov (Александр "Сашко" Привалов) - trumpet (1998 - 2002)
- Oleg Sokolov (Олег Соколов) - trumpet (1997 - 1998)
- Vasiliy "Grasshopper" Savin (Василий "Кузнечик" Савин) - trombone (1998 - 2002)
- Dmitry "Antenna" Melnikov (Дмитрий "Антенна" Мельников) - drums (2000 - 2002)
- Ilya "Dracula" Ivashov (Илья "Дракула" Ивашов) - tuba (1997 - 2002)
- Stas Baretsky (Стас Барецкий) - dancing and mascot (2005 - 2008)
- Denis "Kashchey" Kuptsov (Денис "Кащей" Купцов) - drums (2002 - 2008)
- Michael Gopack (Михаил Гопак) - trombone (2002)
- Daniil "Dan" Kalashnick (Даниил "Дэн" Калашник) - guitar (1999 - 2002)
- Maxim Temnov (Максим Темнов) - bass, double bass (2001 - 2002)
- Sergei Arsenyev (Сергей Арсеньев) - accordion (2001)
- Alice Vox-Burmistrova (Алиса Вокс-Бурмистрова)- vocals, backing vocals (2012 – 2016)
|1999||Мат без электричества||Mat without the electricity (idiomatically, "Mat Unplugged" or "Acoustic Mat"|
|2001||Пуля+ (Диск 1)||Bullet+ (Disc 1)|
|2001||Пуля+ (Диск 2)||Bullet+ (Disc 2)|
|2001||Маде ин жопа||Made in the Ass|
|2002||Пираты XXI века||Pirates of the 21st Century|
|2002||Точка||Point||Contains the song "Money"|
|2003||Ленинград уделывает Америку (Диск 1)||Leningrad does America (Disc 1)|
|2003||Ленинград уделывает Америку (Диск 2)||Leningrad does America (Disc 2)|
|2003||Второй Магаданский||Second Magadan|
|2003||Для миллионов||For Millions||Contains the song "Меня зовут Шнур".|
|2004||(Не) Полное собрание сочинений||(Un) Collected Works||Greatest Hits Record|
|2005||Хуйня||Bullshit||Collaboration with The Tiger Lillies.|
|2006||Хлеб||Bread||German release of Хлеб|
|2006||Бабье лето||Indian Summer|
|2011||Вечный огонь||The Eternal Fire||Internet release, wasn't released on CD yet|
- Запрещенная Лужковым группа «Ленинград» выступит в поддержку его соперника Лебедева
- Official MP3 release, additionally ridiculing Madonna.
- appearing on the set list for a mock Russian-themed radio station in the game called Vladivostok FM.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Leningrad (band).|