Lenox Avenue Breakdown
|Lenox Avenue Breakdown|
|Studio album by|
|Studio||Mediasound Studios, New York City|
|Arthur Blythe chronology|
Lenox Avenue Breakdown is an album by jazz saxophonist Arthur Blythe, and illustrator Mark Hess. It was released by Columbia Records in 1979 and reissued by Koch Jazz in 1998. The album reached No. 35 on the Billboard Jazz Albums chart in 1979.
|Christgau's Record Guide||A|
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz|
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
The Penguin Guide to Jazz included Lenox Avenue Breakdown in its "Core Collection," and assigned its "crown" accolade to the album, along with a four-star rating (of a possible four stars). Penguin editors Richard Cook and Brian Morton called the album "one of the lost masterpieces of modern jazz," owing to its long period of unavailability before the 1998 CD release. Cook and Morton noted that "[Bob] Stewart's long tuba solo on the title-piece is one of the few genuinely important tuba statements in jazz, a nimble sermon that promises storms and sunshine."
Thom Jurek, writing for Allmusic, notes that "this group lays like a band that had been together for years, not the weeklong period it took them to rehearse and create one of Blythe's masterpieces. Over 20 years later, Lenox Avenue Breakdown still sounds new and different and ranks among the three finest albums in his catalog."
All compositions by Arthur Blythe.
- Original LP side one
- "Down San Diego Way" – 7:44
- "Lenox Avenue Breakdown" – 13:11
- Original LP side two
- "Slidin' Through" – 9:33
- "Odessa" – 9:30
- Arthur Blythe – alto saxophone, mixing
- James Newton – flute
- Bob Stewart – tuba
- James "Blood" Ulmer – guitar
- Cecil McBee – bass
- Jack DeJohnette – drums
- Guillermo Franco – percussion
- Bob Thiele – producer, mixing
- Doug Epstein – engineer, mixing
- Vladimir Meller – mastering
- Gene Greif – design
- Mark Hess – illustration
- Jim Houghton – photography
- Stanley Crouch – liner notes
- Donald Elfman – reissue producer
- Nicole Cavalluzzo – reissue design
|United States||1979||Columbia||LP||JC 35638|
- Chart & Awards at AllMusic
- Cook, Richard; Brian Morton (2006) . The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings. The Penguin Guide to Jazz (8th ed.). New York: Penguin. p. 139. ISBN 0-14-102327-9.
- Christgau, Robert (1981). "Consumer Guide '70s: B". Christgau's Record Guide: Rock Albums of the Seventies. Ticknor & Fields. ISBN 089919026X. Retrieved February 22, 2019 – via robertchristgau.com.
- Jurek, Thom. "Lenox Avenue Breakdown – Review". allmusic. Rovi Corp. Retrieved August 31, 2010.
- Swenson, J., ed. (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 27. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.