Aerial view of Lentokenttä with the Helsinki Airport pictured
Location on the map of Vantaa, with the district in red and the Aviapolis major region in light brown.
|Time zone||GMT +2|
Lentokenttä (Swedish: Flygfältet; English meaning: "airfield") is a district of Vantaa, Finland, located in the middle of the city. The district is part of the Aviapolis major region and has been named after the Helsinki Airport situated there.
The district of Lentokenttä is the largest single job concentration of Vantaa. In 2001, the district provided jobs for over 11 thousand people, of which almost 9 thousand worked in customer service. As the airport area has grown, the number of jobs has increased dramatically.
Nowadays only twelve people live permanently in the district of Lentokenttä, giving it a population density of 0.86 inhabitants per square kilometre (2.2/sq mi). In 1980, there were still over 200 people living in the district.
With regard to services, Lentokenttä is fairly self-sufficient, with cafés, restaurants, shops, banks, and a bus traffic terminal. The district is secured by its own fire station, deep water supply, water tower, and electrical plant. Near the airport, accommodation is available in hotels, and premises for negotiations or conferences are also available. Because of the nature of activity in an international airport, some of the services are only available to passengers having gone through security control.
There are offices of many air traffic carriers, cargo stations, and aircraft hangars in the district.
Close to the airport, but outside the district there are:
- The Finnish Aviation Museum
- The main office of Finnair
- The main office of Finavia
- The main office of the Finnish Bureau of Aviation
- The Avia College aviation academy
- Vantaa alueittain (2003). Especially the starting part pp. 136–139: (District 53, Lentokenttä). The work is downloadable in two PDF files (179 pages, 11 MB, and 101 pages, 6 MB) from the website of the City of Vantaa: 
- Vantaan väestö kaupunginosittain 1.1.2006. Statistical map, available as two PDF files from the website of the City of Vantaa: 
Media related to Lentokenttä, Vantaa at Wikimedia Commons