Leo Birenberg is an American orchestrator and composer for film and television.
Born in Kentucky and raised in Chicago, Birenberg studied composition at NYU and USC. While there, he started composing his first scores in collaboration with his roommate, filmmaker Jeremy Reitz.
After graduating, he had a chance encounter with composer Christopher Beck, who ended up taking Birenberg on as a mentee. Under Reitz’s tutelage, Birenberg worked as the score coordinator on numerous large projects, including The Muppets, Pitch Perfect, Runner Runner, and Frozen. In 2014, Birenberg started composing additional music for Beck’s films, including Muppets Most Wanted, Edge of Tomorrow, and Ant-Man.
In 2014, Birenberg also started composing his own original scores for television shows, including Next Time on Lonny, The Britishes, Big Time in Hollywood, FL, and the YouTube Red series Sing It!
In 2016, Birenberg received an email from producer Eric Appeal, and asked to compose music for the then-upcoming FX series Son of Zorn. Upon approaching the series, he took the original up-beat synth-heavy score and replaced it with something that spanned a vast array of musical styles, sampling the styles of country music and church choirs. In 2017, Birenberg released a soundtrack for the show. That same year, Birenberg also started composing music for the Seeso original series Take My Wife. He also composing the score for the 2017 comedy F the Prom.
|2017||F the Prom||Composer|
|2015||The Peanuts Movie||Composer (additional music)|
|2015||Ant-Man||Composer (additional music)|
|2015||Hot Tub Time Machine 2||Composer (additional music), Orchestrator|
|2014||Good Kill||Composer (additional music)|
|2014||Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day||Score Producer|
|2014||Edge of Tomorrow||Composer (additional music)|
|2014||Muppets Most Wanted||Composer (additional music)|
|2014||Endless Love||Composer (additional music), Score Producer|
|2013||Runner Runner||Score Coordinator|
|2013||The Internship||Score Coordinator|
|2013||The Hangover Part III||Score Coordinator|
|2013||Movie 43||Composer (segments: Happy Birthday)|
|2013||Charlie Countryman||Score Coordinator|
|2012||Struck By Lightning||Score Coordinator|
|2012||The Guilt Trip||Score Coordinator|
|2012||Pitch Perfect||Music Assistant|
|2012||The Watch||Score Coordinator|
|2012||This Means War||Score Coordinator|
|2011||The Muppets||Score Coordinator|
|2011||Tower Heist||Score Coordinator|
|2016||Take My Wife||Composer|
|2016||Son of Zorn||Composer|
|2015||Big Time in Hollywood, FL||Composer (12 episodes)|
- "Leo Birenberg - USC Department of Screen Scoring". uscscoring.com.
- Schroeder, Jules. "A 28-Year-Old Hollywood Composer Shares 3 Ways To Optimize Creativity Under Pressure".
- Contribution, User (1 February 2017). "Composer Coverage: Meet Leo Birenberg".
- "Hitting the right notes with Leo Birenberg".
- "Bringing Zorn to life musically with composer Leo Birenberg (interview)". 13 July 2017.
- "Leo Birenberg on composing the new series Son Of Zorn and the influence of "Barbarian percussion" (EXCLUSIVE) - The Iris". iris.theaureview.com.
- "Son of Zorn Q&A: Leo Birenberg Discusses Composing Music on a Live-Action/Animated Series".
- email@example.com (2 February 2017). "Finding The Heart In Comedy: "Son Of Zorn" Composer Leo Birenberg".
- "Son of Zorn - Interview with Composer Leo Birenberg". 11 July 2017.