Leo E. Strine Jr.
|Chief Justice of the Delaware Supreme Court|
February 28, 2014
|Preceded by||Myron T. Steele|
|Born||1964 (age 53–54)
Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.
|Education||University of Delaware,
University of Pennsylvania (JD)
Life and career
Born in Baltimore, Strine grew up in Hockessin, Delaware. He graduated from A.I. DuPont High School in 1982. Strine then graduated magna cum laude from the University of Pennsylvania Law School in 1988 with his J.D., after having received his B.A. summa cum laude from the University of Delaware in 1985. He clerked for Judge Walter K. Stapleton of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit and for Chief Judge John F. Gerry of the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey. He was a corporate litigator at the firm of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, and then Counsel to Governor Thomas R. Carper.
Strine has taught at several academic institutions including the UCLA School of Law, the University of Pennsylvania Law School, the Vanderbilt University Law School, and the Harvard Law School and lectured at many more. He became a Vice Chancellor of the Delaware Court of Chancery on November 9, 1998, and became Chancellor of that court on June 22, 2011. During the 2006–2007 academic year, he served as a special judicial consultant to the American Bar Association's Committee on Corporate Laws. Strine was confirmed as Chief Justice of the Delaware Supreme Court on January 29, 2014.
Strine lives in Hockessin, Delaware, with his wife Carrie, an occupational therapist, and their two sons, James and Benjamin who play soccer.
- W. T. Allen, J. E. Jacobs and L. E. Strine, Jr., "Realigning The Standard Of Review Of Director Due Care With Delaware Public Policy: A Critique Of Van Gorkom And Its Progeny As A Standard Of Review Problem" (2002) 96 Northwestern University Law Review 449
- L. E. Strine, "Toward Common Sense and Common Ground? Reflections on the Shared Interests of Managers and Labor in a More Rational System of Corporate Governance" (2007) 33 Journal of Corporation Law 1
- Strine, Leo E., A Job Is Not a Hobby: The Judicial Revival of Corporate Paternalism and Its Problematic Implications (2015). Journal of Corporation Law, Vol. 41, P. 71, 2015; U of Penn, Inst for Law & Econ Research Paper No. 15-2.
- Marcus, David. "Leo Strine's Marvelous Adventures". Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation. The Deal. Retrieved April 17, 2014.
- "Leo E. Strine, Jr". Harvard Law School. Retrieved 26 July 2017.
- Hals, Tom (29 January 2014). "Leo Strine confirmed as chief justice of Delaware's Supreme Court". Reuters. Reuters. Archived from the original on September 2, 2017. Retrieved 26 July 2017.
- "Governor Markell Nominates Leo E. Strine Jr. for Chief Justice of Delaware Supreme Court". news.delaware.gov. Retrieved April 17, 2014.
Myron T. Steele
|Chief Justice of the Delaware Supreme Court