||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Birth name||Leo Gordon Laporte|
November 29, 1956 |
New York City, New York
|Show||Approx. 20 shows on the TWiT netcast network, also The Tech Guy through Premiere Networks|
|Station(s)||TWiT TV LLC; Premiere Networks|
|Time slot||Saturdays and Sundays live at 11:00 am PT (19:00 UTC/18:00 UTC during US DST), 3 hours|
Laporte, the son of a geologist, studied Chinese history at Yale University before dropping out in his junior year to pursue his career in radio broadcasting, where his early radio names were Dave Allen and Dan Hayes. He began his association with computers with his first home PC, an Atari 400.
Television and radio
Laporte has worked on technology-related broadcasting projects, including Dvorak on Computers in January 1991 (co-hosted with technology writer John C. Dvorak), and Laporte on Computers on KGO Radio and KSFO in San Francisco.
Laporte was the host of the daily television show The Lab with Leo Laporte, recorded in Vancouver, Canada. The program had formerly been known as Call for Help when it was recorded in the U.S. and Toronto. The series aired on G4 Canada, on the HOW TO Channel in Australia, on several of Canada's Citytv affiliates, and on Google Video. On March 5, 2008, Laporte confirmed on net@nite that The Lab with Leo Laporte had been canceled by Rogers Communications. The HOW TO Channel refused to air the remaining episodes after it was announced the show had been canceled.
He hosts a weekend technology-oriented talk radio program show titled Leo Laporte: The Tech Guy. The show, started on KFI AM 640 (Los Angeles), is now syndicated through Premiere Radio Networks. Laporte also appears on Friday mornings on KFI with Bill Handel, and previously on such shows as Showbiz Tonight, Live with Kelly, and World News Now.
Laporte has written technology-oriented books including:
- 101 Computer Answers You Need to Know ISBN 1562763393,
- Leo Laporte's 2005 Gadget Guide ISBN 0789731746
- Leo Laporte's Guide to TiVo ISBN 0789731959,
- Leo Laporte's Guide to Mac OS X Tiger ISBN 0789733935
- Leo Laporte's PC Help Desk.
He has published a yearly series of technology almanacs:
- Leo Laporte's Technology Almanac
- Poor Leo's Computer Almanac ISBN 0768654920.
- Leo Laporte's 2006 Technology Almanac ISBN 0789733978.
Laporte announced in October 2006 that he would not renew his contract with Que Publishing, and had retired from publishing books.
Laporte owns and operates a podcast network, TWiT.tv with his wife Lisa Laporte. Its shows are available on iTunes and other podcast subscription services. Before the expansion to new facilities in 2011, Laporte said TWiT earned $1.5 million annually on a production cost of $350,000. In a 2012 Reddit posting, he commented that revenue was approaching $4 million.
Laporte has a net worth of $5 million.
- Leo Laporte Information. TV.com
- "Podcast Episode / On the Record...Online". ontherecordpodcast.com.
- TwitLive Broadcast, after hours, 2008-12-09
- Focus On: Leo G4
- "Podcasting's Reluctant Evangelist". WIRED.
- "Attack of the Show!: Finale Features Return of The Screen Savers". tvseriesfinale.com.
- "Call for Help". TV.com. CBS Interactive.
- The Lab with Leo Laporte Internet Archive
- Lab with Leo off TV in Australia – Let us See the Remaining Episodes
- Response from How-To Channel Australia Regarding The Lab with Leo
- "CNN.com - Transcripts". cnn.com.
- Leoville: Live with Regis and Kelly
- Laporte, Leo; Stauffer, Todd (2005). "Leo Laporte's 2005 Mac gadget guide". Indianapolis, IN: Que. ISBN 0789731746. LCCN 2004107074.
Free eBook from the Internet Archive
- Books by Lang, Andrew - Project Gutenberg
- Little Red Riding Hood and other tales of Aarne-Thompson-Uther type 333 translated and/or edited by D. L. Ashliman
- The Red Fairy Book, by Andrew Lang : THE TRUE HISTORY OF LITTLE GOLDEN HOOD
- Andrew Lang, 1844-1912
- TWiT.TV - this WEEK in TECH
- Danae Ringelmann interviewed on the TV show Triangulation on the TWiT.tv network
- Pete Cashmore. "Leo Laporte Makes $1.5 Million Per Year from Podcasting". Mashable. Retrieved June 24, 2011.
- Leo Laporte. "TWiT revenue at $4 million". Reddit. Retrieved August 2, 2012.
- Laporte, Leo. "Leo Laporte Net Worth". Celebrity Net Worth. Retrieved 11 October 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Leo Laporte.|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Leo Laporte|
- Official website
- Leo Laporte at the Internet Movie Database
- Leo Laporte in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Works by or about Leo Laporte in libraries (WorldCat catalog)