||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (October 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
October 30, 1961 |
Sharon, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Occupation||Poet, editor, translator|
|Literary movement||New Formalism|
He grew up and attended high school in Farrell, Pennsylvania, a small steel town in western Pennsylvania. He studied History and Polish Studies at Alliance College, Cambridge Springs, Pennsylvania, receiving a BA in 1984. Later that year he traveled to Poland on a fellowship from the Kosciuszko Foundation to attend Kraków's Jagiellonian University.
Yankevich is married and has three sons.
Yankevich writes poems in both traditional metre and in syllabics, and only occasionally in free verse. He is a prolific translator, having rendered into English poems by Mikhail Lermontov, Georg Trakl, Rainer Maria Rilke, Stanisław Grochowiak, Czesław Miłosz, Alexander Blok, Leopold Staff, Nikolay Gumilev, Bolesław Leśmian, and many others. He has a large Internet presence with work published in scores of online publications, ranging from The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette to Poets Against War.
Nothing remains after philosophy but physical reality, be it dew on a lovely girl's maidenhood, or twisted wreckage after a tank battle.'
- The Language of Birds; Pygmy Forest Press, 1994 ISBN 0-944550-39-8
- Grief's Herbs (translations after the Polish of Stanisław Grochowiak); The Mandrake Press, 1995
- The Gnosis of Gnomes; The Mandrake Press, 1995
- Epistle from The Dark; The Mandrake Press, 1996 ISBN 83-904541-1-4
- The Golem of Gleiwitz; The Mandrake Press, 1998 ISBN 83-904541-6-5
- "Metaphysics" by Leo Yankevich, 2002
- The Unfinished Crusade; The Mandrake Press, 2000 ISBN 83-904541-9-X
- The Last Silesian; The Mandrake Press, 2005 ISBN 0-9708219-2-1
- Tikkun Olam; Counter-Currents Publishing, 2012 ISBN 978-1-935965-38-1
- Journey Late at Night: Poems & Translations; Counter-Currents Publishing, 2013 ISBN 978-1935965824
- Poem at The Flea
- Poems at The Formalist Portal
- Poems at The Pennsylvania Review
- Poem at The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- Poems at The Monongahela Review
- Poems & Prose at The Chimaera
- Poem at SCR
- Poems at The Innisfree Poetry Journal
- Poem at The East River Review
- Poems at II
- Poems at Hypertexts
- Poems at CompleteClassics
- Poems at Poemhunter.com
- Poem at The Barefoot Muse
- Poems at Poetry Porch
- Poems at DMQ Review
- Poem at Snakeskin
- Poem at Beauty for Ashes
- Poem at Counter-Currents Publishing
- Interview at Counter Currents