Cameron in April 2018
|Full name||Leon Cameron|
|Date of birth||2 September 1972|
|Original team(s)||South Warrnambool|
|Draft||No. 7, 1988 national draft|
|Height||185 cm (6 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||82 kg (181 lb)|
|Current club||Greater Western Sydney|
|2014–||Greater Western Sydney||117 (63–51–3)|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2003.
3 Coaching statistics correct as of END OF 2018 SEASON.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Leon Cameron (born 2 September 1972) is a former Australian rules footballer who is the senior coach of the Greater Western Sydney Giants (GWS) in the Australian Football League (AFL). His AFL playing career lasted from 1990 to 2003 and included 256 senior games – 172 for the Western Bulldogs and 84 for Richmond.
AFL playing career
AFL coaching career
Assistant coaching roles
After retirement Cameron returned to the Western Bulldogs as an assistant coach from 2004 to the end of 2010. In September 2010 he accepted an assistant coaching role with Hawthorn, playing an instrumental role in the club as they reached the 2012 AFL Grand Final, which was lost to the Sydney Swans. It was Cameron's first Grand Final as an AFL player or coach after three preliminary final losses as a player (two at the Western Bulldogs and one at Richmond) and another four as an assistant coach (three at the Bulldogs and one at Hawthorn).
Cameron then joined Greater Western Sydney as the senior assistant coach for the 2013 season with a contract that appointed him as the senior coach from 2014.
First senior coaching role
On 1 September 2013, after Kevin Sheedy coached his 679th and final game as a senior coach in the VFL-AFL, the competing teams formed a guard of honour for Sheedy and a handover ceremony took place with Sheedy passing the baton to Leon Cameron who succeeded him as senior coach. Cameron's contract, signed in October 2012, stipulated one year as senior assistant coach to Sheedy and then 3 years as the senior coach.
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- Statistics are correct to the end of the 2016 season
|W||Wins||L||Losses||D||Draws||W%||Winning percentage||LP||Ladder position||LT||League teams|
|2014||Greater Western Sydney||22||6||16||0||27.3%||16||18|
|2015||Greater Western Sydney||22||11||11||0||50.0%||11||18|
|2016||Greater Western Sydney||24||17||7||0||70.8%||4||18|
- Mithen, Anthony (3 September 1995). "Cameron hopes success will rub off on Dogs". The Age. p. 40.
- Greenberg, Tony (19 October 2012). "Top 20 Tiger trade pick-ups: No. 9". Richmond Football Club. Archived from the original on 21 October 2012. Retrieved 21 October 2012.
- Lane, Samantha (28 August 2011). "The pick of the litter". The Sunday Age. p. 5.
- "First things first for Hawks midfield coach, then Leon Cameron to make Power move". News.com.au. 25 September 2012. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- Cowley, Michael (4 October 2012). "Port to miss as Cameron goes north". The Age.
- "Gary Ablett stars as Kevin Sheedy's coaching career ends with an 83-point loss", News Ltd, 1 September 2013. Retrieved 2 September 2013.
- "Cameron the future for GWS", Sydney Morning Herald, 4 October 2013. Retrieved 2 September 2013.
- Leon Cameron's player profile at AFL Tables
- "Leon Cameron's coaching profile". AFL Tables.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Leon Cameron.|