Leon McFadden (American football)
|No. 23 Dallas Cowboys|
|Date of birth:||October 26, 1990|
|Place of birth:||Inglewood, California|
|Height:||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight:||190 lb (86 kg)|
|High school:||Bellflower (CA) St. John Bosco|
|College:||San Diego State|
|NFL Draft:||2013 / Round: 3 / Pick: 68|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2016|
Leon McFadden, Jr. (born October 26, 1990) is an American football cornerback for the Dallas Cowboys of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the third round of the 2013 NFL Draft. He played college football at San Diego State.
McFadden attended St. John Bosco High School in Bellflower, California, and played high school football for the Bosco Braves. He recorded 32 receptions for an average of 16.3 yards per catch, including seven touchdowns and was selected to the Trinity League first-team defense after he recorded 48 tackles and four interceptions in 2008.
Mcfadden was also a standout athlete for the St. John Bosco High School track team. He was timed at 10.9 seconds in the 100 meters in 2008. He also had a career-best leap of 6.46 meters in the long jump.
McFadden attended San Diego State University, where he played for the San Diego State Aztecs football team from 2009 to 2012. During his college career, he accumulated 168 tackles, including 13 for loss, 39 pass break ups and eight interceptions, and was a first-team All-Mountain West Conference (MWC) selection for three consecutive years, from his sophomore through senior seasons.
New York Jets
San Francisco 49ers
New York Giants
On October 21, 2015, the New York Giants signed McFadden from the Arizona Cardinals practice squad. He was waived on December 5. On December 8, he was signed to the practice squad. On January 4, 2016, McFadden signed a reserve/future contract with the Giants. He was waived by the Giants on September 3, 2016.
On October 24, 2016, the Dallas Cowboys signed McFadden to their practice squad. On November 5, after injuries to Morris Claiborne and Barry Church, the Cowboys were forced to promote him to the active roster. Playing in his second game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, he allowed a pump-fake touchdown from Ben Roethlisberger to Antonio Brown, although he was one of the few Cowboys players that reacted to the play. He was mostly a core special teams player during the season.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-08-10. Retrieved 2016-08-31.
- "Cleveland Browns select Leon McFadden, San Diego State DB, in the 3rd round of NFL Draft 2013". cleveland.com. Retrieved 2013-09-05.
- "Browns release Leon McFadden". nbcsports.com. Retrieved 2014-08-31.
- Lange, Randy (August 31, 2014). "Jets Acquire CB Leon McFadden on Waivers". New York Jets. Archived from the original on September 1, 2014. Retrieved August 31, 2014.
- Cimini, Rich (September 11, 2014). "Jets waive CB Leon McFadden". ESPN New York. Archived from the original on September 11, 2014. Retrieved September 11, 2014.
- Urban, Darren (September 7, 2015). "Practice Squad Set For Cardinals". AZCardinals.com. Retrieved September 11, 2015.
- "Giants sign LB James Morris to active roster; waive CB Leon McFadden". www.giants.com. Retrieved 2015-12-07.
- Eisen, Michael (December 8, 2015). "Giants place LS Zak DeOssie, TE Larry Donnell on IR". Giants.com. Retrieved December 19, 2015.
- Raanan, Jordan (January 4, 2016). "Giants sign 6 players to reserve/future contracts". NJ.com. Retrieved January 11, 2016.
- Eisen, Michael. "New York Giants announce 20 roster moves". Giants.com.
- Bouda, Nate (October 24, 2016). "Cowboys Sign CB Leon McFadden To Practice Squad". NFL Trade Rumors. Retrieved October 24, 2016.
- "Cowboys Sign CB Leon McFadden To The Active Roster". DallasCowboys.com. November 5, 2016.