|Member of the Canadian Parliament|
for Aurora—Oak Ridges—Richmond Hill
|Assumed office |
October 19, 2015
|Preceded by||District Created|
|Born||March 16, 1968|
|Residence||Oak Ridges, Ontario|
|Alma mater||Royal Military College of Canada|
|Branch/service||Royal Canadian Air Force|
|Years of service||1987–1996|
Leona Alleslev MP (born March 16, 1968) is a Canadian politician who was elected as a Liberal Member of Parliament to represent the riding of Aurora—Oak Ridges—Richmond Hill in the House of Commons in the 2015 federal election. Alleslev was originally elected as a Liberal but, on September 17, 2018, she crossed the floor to join the Conservative Party, citing alleged disagreements with the Liberal government over their handling of the economy and foreign affairs.
Member of Parliament
From December 2, 2015 to January 27, 2017, Leona Alleslev served as the former Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Public Services and Procurement. Alleslev currently is a member of the Standing Committee on National Defence and the Standing Committee on Citizenship and Immigration.
During the General Meeting of the Parliamentary NATO Association on October 30, 2018, Leona Alleslev was ousted from her role as Chair and replaced with Liberal MP Borys Wrzesnewskyj. The Conservatives attempted to delay the vote by having their staffers break into a rendition of Stan Rogers’ Barrett’s Privateers while pouring and passing around a bottle of unknown liquid, later confirmed to be alcohol by Conservative MP Garnett Genuis. Conservatives were criticized as the meeting room was not hosting a reception or party; it was hosting a parliamentary association meeting, making the consumption of alcohol inappropriate.
Military Service and Work Experience
The eldest daughter of RCAF Major-General Ian Alleslev, Leona Alleslev graduated from the Royal Military College of Canada in 1991, and served as a logistics officer in the Royal Canadian Air Force, retiring with the rank of captain. Alleslev also worked as a senior manager in the aerospace industry and the Department of National Defence.
|2015 Canadian federal election: Aurora—Oak Ridges—Richmond Hill|
|New Democratic||Brenda Power||2,908||5.7%||−10.25%||–|
|Animal Alliance||Kyle Bowles||241||0.5%||–||–|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||–||100.0||$211,322.50|
|Total rejected ballots||–||–||–|
|Liberal notional gain from Conservative||Swing||+12.88|
|Source: Elections Canada|
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-04-05. Retrieved 2015-10-31.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Taekema, Dan (October 20, 2015). "Liberal, Conservative Candidates in Tight Race in Aurora-Oak Ridges-Richmond Hill". Toronto Star.
- Tasker, John Paul (September 17, 2018). "Toronto-area Liberal MP Leona Alleslev crosses the floor to join Conservatives". CBC News. Retrieved September 17, 2018.
- "Former Air Cadet Leona Alleslev - Air Cadet League of Canada". Air Cadet League of Canada. 7 April 2016.
- Elections Canada – Confirmed candidates for Aurora—Oak Ridges—Richmond Hill, 30 September 2015
- Elections Canada – Preliminary Election Expenses Limits for Candidates Archived 2015-08-15 at the Wayback Machine
- "Election Night Results". Elections Canada. Retrieved 20 October 2015.