Location of Leonard, Michigan
|• Type||General Law Village|
|• President||Michael McDonald|
|• Total||0.96 sq mi (2.49 km2)|
|• Land||0.96 sq mi (2.49 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,007 ft (307 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||404|
|• Density||419.8/sq mi (162.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Area code(s)||248 , 810|
|GNIS feature ID||0630315|
As of the census of 2010, there were 403 people, 153 households, and 114 families residing in the village. The population density was 419.8 inhabitants per square mile (162.1/km2). There were 162 housing units at an average density of 168.8 per square mile (65.2/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 97.5% White, 0.2% African American, 1.0% Native American, 0.7% from other races, and 0.5% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.2% of the population.
There were 153 households of which 35.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.4% were married couples living together, 7.8% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.2% had a male householder with no wife present, and 25.5% were non-families. 21.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.63 and the average family size was 3.07.
The median age in the village was 39.9 years. 24.6% of residents were under the age of 18; 6.5% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 26% were from 25 to 44; 30.3% were from 45 to 64; and 12.7% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the village was 51.9% male and 48.1% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 332 people, 124 households, and 93 families residing in the village. The population density was 344.7 per square mile (133.5/km²). There were 129 housing units at an average density of 133.9 per square mile (51.9/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 99.92% White, 00.08% African American, 0.30% Native American, 0.60% Asian, and 0.90% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.72% of the population.
There were 124 households out of which 33.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.9% were married couples living together, 6.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.2% were non-families. 21.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.68 and the average family size was 3.06.
In the village the population was spread out with 26.2% under the age of 18, 6.3% from 18 to 24, 27.4% from 25 to 44, 27.1% from 45 to 64, and 13.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 95.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.8 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $45,625, and the median income for a family was $57,500. Males had a median income of $41,458 versus $31,250 for females. The per capita income for the village was $29,006. None of the families and 3.9% of the population were living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and 9.4% of those over 64.
The government of the Village of Leonard consists of elected and appointed officials. The elected officials include: four council members, one President and one Treasurer, the Clerk is appointed. The appointed officials also include Street Superintendent. Currently, the clerk also has a part-time administrative assistant.
The village has a Planning Commission consisting of five citizens who are appointed by the Village Council. The Village Council acts as the Zoning Board of Appeals when necessary. The village has a Parks and Recreation Commission whose members are both appointed and volunteer. There is a State of Michigan-approved Recreation Plan for the village which the Commission is responsible for maintaining and managing.
The humor novel Ghosts/Aliens takes place in Leonard.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Leonard, Michigan
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Leonard village, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved August 19, 2011.
- "Oakland County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. U.S. Government Printing Office. p. 185.
- Arthur Hagman, Oakland County book of History, p. 33
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.