Leonard Berry (professor)
Leonard L. (Len) Berry (born 1942) is a distinguished professor of marketing at Texas A&M University and a senior fellow at the Institute for Healthcare Improvement. Berry is a past president of the American Marketing Association. He has studied service delivery in healthcare at the Mayo Clinic and in cancer care settings.
Berry earned bachelor's and master's degrees at the University of Denver and a Ph.D. at Arizona State University. A longtime professor at Texas A&M University, Berry founded the school's Center for Retailing Studies in 1982 and directed it for 18 years. In 1983, Berry coined the term relationship marketing, which emphasizes the need for organizations to maintain (rather than simply acquire) customers.
He is the University Distinguished Professor of Marketing and Regents Professor at Texas A&M University. He holds the M. B. Zale Chair in Retailing and Marketing Leadership in the Mays Business School at Texas A&M. He has studied healthcare service improvement in association with the Mayo Clinic and as a senior fellow at the Institute for Healthcare Improvement. Much of Berry's work has focused on service delivery in cancer care.
Berry and his wife established the Berry-AMA Book Prize for the Best Book in Marketing for the American Marketing Association (AMA). He is a past recipient of the AMA/Irwin/McGraw-Hill Distinguished Marketing Educator award. He is on the board of directors for the Nemours Foundation.
- "Leonard L. Berry". Texas A&M University. Archived from the original on August 5, 2009. Retrieved May 12, 2015.
- "A baker's dozen of experts". Fast Company. Archived from the original on January 3, 2015. Retrieved May 12, 2015.
- Morgan, Robert M.; Parish, Janet Turner; Deitz, George (30 January 2015). Handbook on Research in Relationship Marketing. Edward Elgar Publishing. p. 16. ISBN 978-1-78347-863-7.
- "Profiles in Improvement: Leonard L. Berry, PhD, MBA, IHI Senior Fellow". Institute for Healthcare Improvement. December 15, 2014.
- "Berry-AMA Book Prize for the Best Book in Marketing". American Marketing Association Foundation. Retrieved May 12, 2015.
- "Leonard L. Berry, Ph.D." Nemours Foundation. Archived from the original on September 5, 2015. Retrieved May 13, 2015.
- "Genesco Inc (GCO:New York): Leonard L. Berry Ph.D." Bloomberg. Retrieved June 24, 2017.
- Berry, Matthew (September 27, 2012). "All in the family". ESPN. Retrieved May 13, 2015.