Leonard Green & Partners
|Privately held company|
|Founder||Leonard I. Green|
|Headquarters||Los Angeles, California, United States|
Number of employees
Leonard Green & Partners ("LGP") is an American private equity investment firm founded in 1989 and based in Los Angeles. The firm specializes in private equity investments. LGP has invested in over 80 companies since its inception, including Petco and The Container Store.
Leonard Green was founded by Leonard I. Green in 1989 after separating from Gibbons, Green and van Amerongen Ltd. (Gibbons Green), a bank which he had co-founded in 1969 with Edward Gibbons and Lewis van Amerongen. Leonard Green died in 2002, leaving the firm to be run by John G. Danhakl, Peter J. Nolan and Jonathan D. Sokoloff.
The firm's predecessor, Gibbons Green was among the earliest practitioners of the leveraged buyout and management buyout. Gibbons Green purchased several companies, including Purex Industries in 1982, Budget Rent a Car from Transamerica in 1986 and Kash n' Karry Food Stores in 1988. The company planned to purchase Argonaut Group Inc in 1987, but withdrew from the buyout.
In 2019, LGP named John Baumer and Evan Hershberg co-heads of the Jade Fund.
- "Leonard Green & Partners, L.P.: Private Company Information – Bloomberg". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2017-10-03.
- "COMPANY NEWS; MANAGEMENT-LED GROUP TO BUY PETCO FOR $505 MILLION". New York Times. 2000-05-18. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- Hughes, Elaine (2007-07-02). "Private firm buys Container Store". Usatoday.Com. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- Witkowsky, Christopher (2011-10-06). "Leonard Green changes terms amid fundraise". Private Funds CFO. Retrieved 2019-10-15.
- "Gibbons, Green Separation". The New York Times. 1989-05-05. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-12-06.
- "Gibbons, Green Adept in Risky Field : Bicoastal Firm Becomes Major Player in Leveraged Buyouts". Los Angeles Times. 1986-09-07. Retrieved 2019-12-06.
- "Purex Merger Is Approved". The New York Times. 1982-08-12. Retrieved 2016-04-28.
- Staff, Denise L. Smith of The Sentinel. "KASH N' KARRY BUYS MARKETS FROM KROGER". OrlandoSentinel.com. Retrieved 2019-12-06.
- Special to the New York TimesPublished: December 23, 1987 (1987-12-23). "COMPANY NEWS; Gibbons Cancels Argonaut Buyout". New York Times. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- Bartlett, Sarah (1989-11-06). "Wall Street's Treacherous Side". New York Times. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- Bartlett, Sarah (1989-10-13). "Filing Discloses Dispute Over Sale of Sheller-Globe". New York Times. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- Published: May 05, 1989 (1989-05-05). "Gibbons, Green Separation". New York Times. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- Bunker, Ted (2019-12-09). "WSJ News Exclusive | Buyout Firm Leonard Green Raises Nearly $15 Billion for Two New Funds". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2020-02-19.
- "Leonard Green and Partners | Leading private equity investment firm based in Los Angeles". www.leonardgreen.com. Retrieved 2017-09-07.
- "LESLIE'S POOLMART TAKEN PRIVATE IN $140 MILLION DEAL – New York Times". Nytimes.com. 1997-06-13. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- "Jo-Ann Stores to Be Acquired by Leonard Green & Partners, L.P. for $61.00 Per Share in Cash | Business Wire". www.businesswire.com. Retrieved 2016-12-02.
- Hirsch, Lauren (2018-08-09). "Private equity giant Leonard Green takes another chance on retail, buying online retailer Shade Store". CNBC. Retrieved 2018-08-17.
- Severson, Kim; De La Merced, Michael (29 January 2015). "Shake Shack, Born in a Park, Is Going Public With Big Dreams". DealBook. Archived from the original on 6 October 2019. Retrieved 2020-02-19.