Leonard Johnson (American football)
Johnson with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
March 30, 1990 |
|Height:||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight:||194 lb (88 kg)|
|High school:||Largo (FL)|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2017|
|Player stats at PFR|
Leonard Johnson (born March 30, 1990) is an American football cornerback who is currently a free agent. He was signed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as an undrafted free agent in 2012. He played college football at Iowa State. He has also played for the New England Patriots, Carolina Panthers, and Buffalo Bills.
Johnson attended Iowa State University from 2008 to 2011. As a freshman in 2008, he set an NCAA record for most kick return yards in a game with 319. During his career he started 43 of 50 games, recording 247 tackles and six interceptions.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Johnson was not selected in the 2012 NFL draft, but quickly signed with his hometown team the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on April 30, 2012. Johnson participated in the rookie mini-camp held the next week, and impressed coaches enough to get to work out with the team's draft picks on a separate field. During his rookie campaign he showed great promise when he finished the year with 41 tackles, 1 forced fumble, and 3 interceptions.
In his sophomore campaign he improved his tackle stats to 62 tackles but only recorded 1 forced fumble and 1 interception.
During his 3rd season he saw transition into a new Tampa 2 system installed by new head coach Lovie Smith and defensive coordinator Leslie Fraizer. He was used more in rotation as opposed to a full-time starter and finished his 2014 season with 45 total tackles, 3 forced fumbles, and 1 interception. Johnson was released from the Buccaneers on September 1, 2015 after breaking his leg early in the preseason.
On March 10, 2015, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers re-signed Johnson to a one-year deal. On September 1, 2015, Johnson was waived by the Buccaneers. On September 2, 2015, the Buccaneers placed Johnson on season-ending injured reserve. On December 3, 2015, Johnson was waived from the Buccaneers' injured reserve.
New England Patriots
On December 9, 2015, Johnson was signed by the New England Patriots. He made his Patriots debut the following week in a 27-6 win over the Houston Texans and recorded two passes defensed. On February 17, 2016, Johnson was released by the Patriots.
On July 14, 2016, Johnson signed with the Carolina Panthers. After starting the season on the reserve/non-football injury list after suffering an Achilles injury in March, Johnson was activated to the active roster on October 28, 2016.
- Leonard Johnson Breaks NCAA Record in ISU Loss
- "Bucs re-sign Leonard Johnson, give Rainey $1.5-million tender". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- "Buccaneers waive Leonard Johnson, Robert Herron to get to 75-man roster". Bucs Nation. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- "Buccaneers Place WR Robert Herron & CB Leonard Johnson On Season-Ending I.R. - NFL Trade Rumors -". NFL Trade Rumors -. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- "Buccaneers Waived CB Leonard Johnson From I.R. - NFL Trade Rumors -". NFL Trade Rumors -. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- "Bill Belichick Signs CB Leonard Johnson, Loves "Schiano Men" in the Patriots Secondary". Pats Pulpit. Retrieved 2015-12-12.
- "Patriots release DB Leonard Johnson". Patriots.com. February 17, 2016. Retrieved July 23, 2017.
- Strickland, Bryan. "Panthers sign CB Leonard Johnson". Panthers.com. Retrieved 16 July 2016.
- Henson, Max (October 28, 2016). "Panthers activate Johnson, place Williams on IR". Panthers.com.
- Brown, Chris (March 17, 2017). "Bills make three free agent additions". BuffaloBills.com.