Leonard Leslie Brooke
Early life and education
Brooke was born in Birkenhead, England, the second son of Leonard D. Brooke. He was educated at Birkenhead School and the Royal Academy Schools. While travelling in Italy, Brooke suffered a serious illness. He survived, but was left permanently deaf.
Though he did some oil paintings, Brooke was best known as a book illustrator. WorldCat library records show that he illustrated several works by Mrs. Molesworth in the mid-1890s, perhaps from 1892; one was The Carved Lions (1895) in its first edition. His skillful and witty illustrations in Andrew Lang's Nursery Rhyme Book (1897) established his reputation as a leading children's book illustrator of pen-and-ink line drawings and watercolors. His acclaimed works include Johnny Crow's Garden (1903), "Ring O' Roses", "The Golden Goose Book", Johnny Crow's Party (1907), Johnny Crow's New Garden (1935), "The Nursery Rhyme Book", and "Oranges and Lemons" published by Frederick Warne & Co.
Brooke married Sybil Diana Brooke, daughter of his cousin, Rev. Stopford Brooke. They had two sons:
- 2nd Lt. Leonard Stopford Brooke (1895–1918), killed in Germany during the First World War.
- Henry Brooke, Baron Brooke of Cumnor (1903–1984), Conservative politician who served as Home Secretary from 1962–64
Brooke has two paintings in British National Collections. In Children's Reading, Lewis M. Terman and Margaret Lima recommended some of his picture books (such as "The Golden Goose Book", the two that feature Johnny Crow, and others), commenting that Brooke "catches the spirit of childhood with rare skill".
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
- "Mr. Leslie Brooke – Illustrator of Children's Books". The Times. The Times Digital Archive. 2 May 1940. p. 9.
- General Register Office index of births registered in October, November, December 1862 - Name: Brooke, Leonard Leslie. District: Birkenhead. Volume: 8A Page: 391.
- 2 paintings by or after Leonard Leslie Brooke at the Art UK site
- Terman, Lewis M.; Lima, Margaret (1931). Children's Reading: A Guide for Parents and Teachers (Second Edition). D. Appleton and Company. p. 110.
- Works by Leonard Leslie Brooke at Project Gutenberg
- Works by Leonard Leslie Brooke at Faded Page (Canada)
- Works by or about Leonard Leslie Brooke at Internet Archive
- Works by Leonard Leslie Brooke at LibriVox (public domain audiobooks)
- The Story of the Three Little Pigs with Drawings by L. Leslie Brooke From the Collections at the Library of Congress
- L. Leslie Brooke at Library of Congress Authorities, with 22 catalogue records
|This article about a British illustrator is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a writer or poet from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|