|Born||Leonard I. Sweet|
|Education||BA, University of Richmond, Master of Divinity Colgate/Rochester/Bexley Hall/Crozer and PhD University of Rochester|
|Occupation||Writer, teacher, preacher|
Leonard I. Sweet is an American theologian, semiotician, church historian, pastor, and author. Sweet currently serves as the E. Stanley Jones Professor of Evangelism at Drew Theological School at Drew University, in Madison, New Jersey; and a Visiting Distinguished Professor at George Fox University in Portland, Oregon. Sweet is ordained in the United Methodist Church.
Before becoming the E. Stanley Jones Professor of Evangelism, Sweet had been Vice President of Academic Affairs and Dean of the Theological School at Drew from 1995 to 2000. Prior to his appointments at Drew University, he served as President and Professor of Church History at United Theological Seminary, Dayton, Ohio. His first academic administration position was as Provost and Associate Professor of Church History at Colgate Rochester Divinity School/Bexley Hall/Crozer Theological Seminary.
Sweet is founder and President of SpiritVenture Ministries. His writings focus on the study of Semiotics.
He is the author of more than sixty books, hundreds of articles (many of a scholarly and technical nature), and over 80 prefaces/forewords to others' books. He has over 1000 published sermons, and currently is the chief weekly contributor to the lectionary-based sermons.com. Sweet has weekly podcasting on iTunes entitled Napkin Scribbles.
Sweet has served a term on the council of the American Society of Church History and was an associate editor of the Journal of the American Academy of Religion for ten years. An honors and Phi Beta Kappa graduate of the University of Richmond, he earned his Master of Divinity degree from Colgate/Rochester/Bexley Hall/Crozer and PhD from the University of Rochester. Sweet is the recipient of honorary Doctorates of Divinity from University of Richmond, Baker University, Lebanon Valley College, Coe College, and Otterbein College.
- The Three Hardest Words In The World To Get Right (WaterBrook Press, 2006) (ISBN 1-57856-648-7)
- The Gospel According to Starbucks (WaterBrook Press, 2007)
- The Voice from on High (Thomas Nelson, 2007)
- The Voice: Genesis (Thomas Nelson, 2008)
- The Church of the Perfect Storm (Abingdon, 2008)
- 11: Indispensable Relationships You Can't Be Without (Cook Communications, 2008)
- Postmodern and Wesleyan?: Exploring the Boundaries and Possibilities (Beacon Hill Press, 2009) (ISBN 978-0834124585)
- So Beautiful (Cook Communications, 2009)
- Jesus Manifesto: Restoring the Supremacy and Sovereignty of Jesus Christ (with Frank Viola) (Thomas Nelson, 2010) (ISBN 978-0849946011)
- Nudge: Awakening Each Other to the God Who’s Already There (David C. Cook, 2010) (ISBN 1434764745)
- The Seraph Seal (with Lori Wagner) (Thomas Nelson, 2011) (ISBN 978-0849920776)
- Real Church in a Social Network World: From Facebook to Face-to-Face Faith (WaterBrook Press, 2011) (e-book) (ASIN B004Y89RKI)
- I Am a Follower: The Way, Truth, and Life of Following Jesus (Thomas Nelson, 2012) (ISBN 978-0849946387)
- Viral: How Social Networking is Poised to Ignite Revival (WaterBrook Press, 2012) (ISBN 978-0307459152)
- What Matters Most: How We Got the Point but Missed the Person (WaterBrook Press, 2012) (ISBN 978-0307730572)
- The Greatest Story Never Told: Revive Us Again (Abingdon Press, 2012) (ISBN 978-1426740329)
- Jesus: A Theography (with Frank Viola) (Thomas Nelson, 2012) (ISBN 978-0849947025)
- The Well Played Life (Tyndale, 2014) (ISBN 978-1414373621)
- Giving Blood: A Fresh Paradigm for Preaching (Zondervan, 2014) (ISBN 978-0310515456)
- A Jesus Manifesto for the 21st Century
- A Candid Interview with Leonard Sweet
- Spirit Venture Ministries
- Lead Mentor, Semiotics & Future Studies DMin track at George Fox Evangelical Seminary
- Quantum Spirituality e-book by Leonard Sweet
- The Dawn Mistaken for Dusk: If God so Loved the World, Why Can't We? e-book by Leonard Sweet