Leonardo Fioravanti (engineer)
Fioravanti studied mechanical engineering at the Politecnico di Milano, specializing in aerodynamics and car body design. He worked twenty-four years with Pininfarina, joining as a stylist in 1964, aged 26, and eventually becoming Managing Director and General Manager of Pininfarina's research arm, Pininfarina Studi & Ricerche for 18 years.
In 1991 he left Fiat and joined Fioravanti Srl which evolved from an architecture studio to a design studio. His two sons, Matteo, an architect, and Luca, an attorney, have also worked with him at Fioravanti Srl. Fioravanti developed a number of prototype and concept cars, often displayed under his own name. In 2012 he was appointed by the Chinese automobile company BAIC Group as a design consultant.
In 2009 Leonardo Fioravanti was elected Chairman of ANFIA Car Coachbuilders Group for a 3-year mandate from 2009 to 2011.
Cars designed by Fioravanti
During his time with Pininfarina, Fioravanti designed several Ferraris:
- Dino 206 GT and 246 GT (with Aldo Brovarone)
- Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona
- Ferrari 365 GT4 2+2 (the forerunner of the Ferrari 400 and Ferrari 412)
- Ferrari 308 GTB
- Ferrari 328
- Ferrari 512 Berlinetta Boxer
- Ferrari 288 GTO
- Ferrari Testarossa
- Ferrari Mondial 8 (the forerunner of the Ferrari Mondial QV, Ferrari Mondial 3.2, and Ferrari Mondial t)
- Ferrari F40
- Ferrari 348
- Ferrari 250 P5 Berlinetta Speciale
- Ferrari P6
- Ferrari Pinin
Fioravanti has designed many concept cars including:
- Caspers, Markus (2017). Designing Motion: Automotive Designers 1890 to 1990. Birkhauser. p. 102. Retrieved 15 June 2018.
- "Chinese auto group hires Ferrari car designer Fioravanti". Reuters. 19 April 2012. Retrieved 15 June 2018.
- "LEONARDO FIORAVANTI NOMINATED NEW CHAIRMAN OF ANFIA CAR COACHBUILDERS GROUP" (PDF). Fioravati News. 16 January 2009. Retrieved 15 June 2018.
- "Out of the shadows, Fioravanti honored for his automotive design work". Classic Cars Journal. 26 November 2017. Retrieved 15 June 2018.
- Smale, Glen (2010). Ferrari Design: The Definitive Study. Haynes Publishing. pp. 94–105.
- "1968 PININFARINA FERRARI 250 P5 BERLINETTA SPECIALE". archivioprototipi.it (in Italian). Retrieved 17 December 2019.
- "Beijing Auto hires Ferrari car designer Fioravanti". Automotive News Europe. 20 April 2012. Retrieved 15 June 2018.
- "Fioravanti Hidra Concept". Road & Track. 5 March 2008. Retrieved 15 June 2018.
- Edsall, Larry (September 13, 2004). "Unwavering Passion, 40 Years and Counting". AutoWeek.
- Scorah, Rob (September 2008). "Ferrari's Four Door Fantasy". Classic Cars