5 May 1930|
Moscow, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union
2 May 2011 (aged 80)|
|Institution||USSR Academy of Sciences|
|Awards||Medal of Honour|
He became director of the Institute of Economics of the USSR Academy of Sciences in 1986. He was a member of the Congress of People's Deputies of the Soviet Union with special responsibility for economic affairs. He later worked as an advisor to Presidents Mikhail Gorbachev and Boris Yeltsin, and was the second-in-command of Premier Nikolai Ryzhkov's government. Under Gorbachev he was one of the major advocates of rapid economic reform, with the consultancy of the Italian economist Giancarlo Pallavicini, and in 1998 became a member of the Economic Crisis Group. Most of his published writings concern the theoretical problems of political economy under socialism. Were among others made, and are still working at the Institute of Economics of the Academy of Sciences, the IKF - International Kondratiev Foundation, and are still working at the Institute of Economics of the Academy of Sciences, the IKF - International Kondratiev Foundation, with Branch in Italy, which is Abalkin President, the Academicians Yuri Yakovets and Giancarlo Pallavicini, as deputy Presidents, and the International Institute Sorokin - Kondratiev, which Abalkin is Vice President with Giancarlo Pallavicini, active in Russia, the United States and Italy, with widespread reports in other European and Asian countries. Since 1995 Abalkin is also a member of the New York Academy of Sciences.
Mr Abalkin was one of the figures at the origins of Russia’s transformation to a market economy and did much to establish new economic mechanisms. A scholar known all around the world, Academician Abalkin had deserved influence in the Russian and international academic communities.
Honours and awards
- Order of Merit for the Fatherland, 3rd class (18 November 2010) – for his significant contribution to the development of domestic science in economics and many years of fruitful activity; 4th class (5 May 2000) – for services to science and training of highly qualified personnel
- Medal of Honour (14 November 2005) – for great contribution to science and education
- Order of Friendship of Peoples
- Order of the Badge of Honour
- Laureate of the Science Support Foundation in the category "Outstanding Scientists" (2004)
- "Soviet Union: Political Affairs" (PDF). JPRS. 12 December 1989. Retrieved 30 March 2013.
- L. I. Abalkin, Kursom uskoreniya [The strategy of acceleration] (Moscow: Politizdat): 1986.
- First Consultant of the Soviet Government for economic reform during the Ritzcov/Abalkin Government and Vice-president of the International N. D. Kondratiev Foundation
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 14 January 2013. Retrieved 7 August 2010. The International N. D. Kondratieff Foundation
- "Condolences following the death of Leonid Abalkin". Presidential Press and Information Office. 2 May 2011. Archived from the original on 7 May 2011. Retrieved 31 August 2011.