||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010)|
|Leonid Ivanovich Popov|
Leonid Popov and Valery Ryumin in USSR postage stamp, 1981
|Nationality||Soviet / Ukrainian|
August 31, 1945 |
Oleksandriia, Ukrainian SSR, USSR
|Rank||Major General, Soviet Air Force|
|Time in space||200d 14h 45m|
|Selection||Air Force Group 5|
|Missions||Soyuz 35, Soyuz 40, Soyuz T-7|
|Awards||Hero of the Soviet Union (2)|
Popov was born in Oleksandriia, Kirovohrad Oblast, Ukrainian SSR. He was selected as a cosmonaut on April 27, 1970, and flew as Commander on Soyuz 35, Soyuz 40 and Soyuz T-7, logging 200 days, 14 hours, and 45 minutes in space before his retirement on June 13, 1987. Popov is married with two children.
He was awarded:
- Twice Hero of the Soviet Union;
- Three Orders of Lenin;
- Medal "For Merit in Space Exploration" (Russian Federation);
- Pilot-Cosmonaut of the USSR;
- Honoured Master of Sport.
- Hero of the Socialist Republic of Romania;
- Hero of the Republic of Cuba
- Hero of Socialist Labour (Vietnam);
- Order of Ho Chi Minh (Vietnam) .
|This article about a space explorer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Russian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|