This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||Leonid Stepanovych Stadnyk
5 August 1970
Podolyantsi, Chudniv Raion, Zhytomyr Oblast, Ukrainian SSR, Soviet Union
|Died||24 August 2014
Podolyantsi, Chudniv Raion, Zhytomyr Oblast, Ukraine
|Cause of death||Brain hemorrhage|
|Height||8 ft 5 in (2.57 m) (disputed)|
|Weight||159 kg (351 lb; 25.0 st)|
Leonid Stepanovych Stadnyk (Ukrainian: Леонід Степанович Стадник; 5 August 1970 – 24 August 2014) was a Ukrainian man who stood at 8 feet 5 inches or 2.57 meters tall.
Stadnyk's excessive growth began after brain surgery at the age of 14, after which he developed a pituitary gland tumor that caused the gland to secrete large amounts of growth hormone. This resulted in what doctors describe as acromegalic gigantism. Twenty years after the surgery, the doctors discovered the tumour had mysteriously disappeared and he was currently healthy. He reportedly wore US size 24.5 shoes. Although he held the title for a month, Stadnyk having no interest in being in any record book, refused to be measured, ending his GWR recognition. Others have questioned the legitimacy of his record, noting that Stadnyk had never been officially measured by Guinness World Records, only by the "Ukrainian Book of Records" that says that he measures 2.57 m (8 ft 5.2 in).
Stadnyk died at the age of 44 on 24 August 2014 from a brain hemorrhage.
- List of tallest people
- Bao Xishun, previous holder of tallest man Guinness title
- Robert Wadlow (1918–1940), the tallest man in history
- Sultan Kösen, current tallest man in Guinness title
- Will Stewart (25 August 2014). "World's 'tallest man' at 8ft 4 inches dies aged 44". Mirror.
- PHOTO from life of giant (in Russian)
- AP article
- San Clemente doctor gets to know giant, The Orange County Register
- Photo at Ukrainian country side, Photos in UemA
- "Ukrainian is world's tallest man". BBC News. 2007-08-08. Retrieved 2007-08-09.
- Guinness official record of Leonid Stadnyk's height, based on a measurement by the Ukrainian Book of Records.
- Daily Mail article on Leonid Stadnyk
Guinness world records info below
|Tallest Recognized Person
7 August 2007 – 20 August 2008