Leonie Samantha Elliott (born 15 April 1988) is an English actress, best known for her role as Lucille Anderson in the BBC series Call the Midwife. She also starred as Cherry Patterson in the Lenny Henry comedy-drama Danny and the Human Zoo.
Elliott was born in Brent, London. Her family emigrated from Jamaica in the 1960s; like her character on Call the Midwife, her aunt moved to England to train as a nurse. She began acting at 8 years old. She attended The Harris School of speech and drama, and trained as an actress at the Identity School of Acting in London.
She appeared as love interest, Cherry Patterson, in the Lenny Henry comedy-drama Danny and the Human Zoo, shown on BBC One in August 2015. Other television appearances include Undercover Heart (1998); Tube Tales (1999); Holby City (2002) and The Bill (2004).
She has appeared in several films, including Wondrous Oblivion (1999), written by Paul Morrison; a rite of passage film about an 11-year-old David Wiseman who is mad about cricket but no good at it. She played Jamaican immigrant Judith Samuels, a shy but gifted cricket player who quickly strikes up a friendship with David. She also has extensive stage experience including; The Lion King at Lyceum Theatre, London (1998), Annie, UK Tour (1999). In 2012, Elliott appeared in Concrete Jungle written by Bola Agbaje at the Riverside Studios, London. Between November 2015 and January 2016, she appeared in The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe at the Birmingham Repertory Theatre in Birmingham.
In January 2018, she made her debut the hit BBC series Call the Midwife as Jamaican nurse Lucille Anderson, whose character was based on the many Caribbean nurses who moved to the UK to assist the growing demand of the NHS in the 1960s.
- Call the Midwife (2017), Lucille Anderson
- Casualty (2016), Natalie
- Black Mirror: "Hated in the Nation" (2016), Fiona
- Danny and the Human Zoo (2015), Cherry Patterson
- Undercover Heart (1998), Holly Lomas
- Holby City (2003), Josie Bond
- The Bill (2003), Natasha Harris
- Strang, Fay (11 March 2018). "Who is Leonie Elliott? New Call The Midwife actress playing Nurse Lucille Anderson who starred in Danny and the Human Zoo". The Sun. Retrieved 6 May 2018.
- Cox, Emma (2 May 2018). "Call the Midwife's Leonie Elliott on filming "difficult" racism scenes". Radio Times. Retrieved 6 May 2018.
- England & Wales, Civil Registration Birth Index, 1916-2007
- Bley Griffiths, Eleanor (4 February 2018). "Call the Midwife newcomer Leonie Elliott was "apprehensive" about how the public would respond to Lucille". Radio Times. Retrieved 6 May 2018.
- Rutter, Claire (19 May 2017). "Call The Midwife casts first West Indian nurse". Metro. Retrieved 6 May 2018.