Main Street Lepanto
Location in Poinsett County and the state of Arkansas
|• Total||1.5 sq mi (3.8 km2)|
|• Land||1.5 sq mi (3.8 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||223 ft (68 m)|
|• Density||1,422/sq mi (561.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0077476|
Lepanto is a city in Poinsett County, Arkansas, United States. The population was 2,133 at the 2000 census. It is included in the Jonesboro, Arkansas Metropolitan Statistical Area. Lepanto was named for the Greek seaport of Lepanto, site of a great crusade sea battle in 1571. Lepanto was the site for most of the filming for the movie version of John Grisham's book A Painted House.
Lepanto is located at (35.610506, -90.335008).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.5 square miles (3.9 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,133 people, 851 households, and 595 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,459.4 people per square mile (564.1/km²). There were 891 housing units at an average density of 609.6/sq mi (235.6/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 82.37% White, 15.56% Black or African American, 0.05% Native American, 0.05% Asian, 0.98% from other races, and 0.98% from two or more races. 2.11% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 851 households out of which 35.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.1% were married couples living together, 18.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.0% were non-families. 28.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 3.04.
In the city the population was spread out with 29.1% under the age of 18, 9.4% from 18 to 24, 24.8% from 25 to 44, 22.6% from 45 to 64, and 14.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 87.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 81.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $22,599, and the median income for a family was $30,074. Males had a median income of $26,977 versus $18,565 for females. The per capita income for the city was $12,550. About 20.5% of families and 26.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 37.1% of those under age 18 and 26.2% of those age 65 or over.
Lepanto is the home of the East Poinsett County School District that provides elementary and secondary education from prekindergarten through grade 12, with students graduating from East Poinsett County High School.
- James R. Hendrix- (1925–2002) Medal of Honor Recipient Battle of the Bulge 1944.
- Major William Atha Gay - (1912–1944) POW on Oryoku Maru Japanese Hell Ship; served on the staff of Brigadier General Hugh Casey in Luzon; decorations included Legion of Merit, the Bronze Star, and the Purple Heart. Name is on the wall of the Manila American Cemetery and Memorial.
- Marcus Monk - (1986 - ) football wide receiver drafted by the Chicago Bears, played for the Arkansas Razorbacks and has also been a member of the New York Giants.
- Buddy Jewell - (1961- ) American country music singer, he was the first winner of the American television talent show Nashville Star.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lepanto, Arkansas.|
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.