Les' Copaque Production
|Animation film studio/division|
|Industry||Media and entertainment|
|Founder||Haji Burhanuddin Mohd Radzi
Hajah Ainon Ariff
|Headquarters||No. 2, Jalan Boling Padang G13/G, Section 13, 40100 Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia|
Les' Copaque Production Sdn. Bhd. (LCP) was established in December 2005 to spearhead Malaysia's animation industry and providing opportunities for the local graduates to showcase their talent. Les' Copaque Production specializes in producing high-quality 3D animation of local images which have global appeal.
The name Les' Copaque came from the Malay term last kopek, meaning the last card one can take in a card game that you put all your hopes and dreams on.
Les' Copaque's logo is a little frog called Si Polan. The symbol was born from the Malay proverb bagai katak di bawah tempurung, which literally translates to 'a frog under a coconut shell'. The proverb addresses people who remain stagnant and take no initiatives to step outside to venture out into the world.
Si Polan, however, sit outside the coconut shell, which symbolizes their eagerness to dream big and their abilities to think outside of the box.
Upin & Ipin
Upin & Ipin is a Malaysian animation television series created, produced and owned by Les' Copaque Production Sdn Bhd. which features the life and adventures of the eponymous twin brothers in a fictional Malaysian kampung. Upin & Ipin is one of the most popular animated series in Malaysia receiving excellent reviews and steadfastly averaging around 800,000 viewers per episode. The series is a spin-off of the 3D animated feature film Geng: Pengembaraan Bermula.
The series stays true to its fun educational stories instilled with moral values and topped with humor and action, making it a series the whole family can enjoy together.
Geng: Pengembaraan Bermula
A film titled Geng: The Adventure Begins (Malay: Geng: Pengembaraan Bermula) is the first Malaysian 3D animated film by Les' Copaque. It took three years to complete. It was released to cinemas nationwide in February 2009 and became the second-highest grossing local film of all time accumulating RM6.314 million ticket sales in Malaysia alone.
Geng was also released in Indonesian theaters in early September 2009 through Blitz Megaplex and in India in late 2009. Geng won the Audience Choice award at the Indonesian International Film Festival for Kids 2009, the Special Jury award, and the Highest Box Office Collection award at the 22nd Malaysian Film Festival.
Les' Copaque Production Sdn. Bhd. has produced a few animation series including Pada Zaman Dahulu, Puteri and DaDuDiDo.
Les' Copaque Production has branched out another subsidiary called Les's Copaque Games Development Incorporated (LCGDI), which was established in March 2010, and specializes in developing games based on Upin & Ipin for PC and mobile.
LCGDI has previously collaborated with Apple Inc. and has produced an application for the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad called Pocket Ipin. LCGDI is working on perfecting the Upin & Ipin game and the Upin & Ipin interactive children's storybook for iPad.
Les' Copaque Merchandising
Les' Copaque Merchandising (LCM) is the subsidiary under Les' Copaque Production Sdn. Bhd that handles the production of merchandise and manages the licences in manufacturing and distributing a bigger range of original Upin & Ipin products, such as T-shirts, key chains, school bags, plush toys and other collectible souvenirs.
This is a family restaurant themed around Upin & Ipin and Geng: Pengembaraan Bermula. It has signature dishes such as "Nasi Ayam Upin & Ipin" and "Gulai Kawah Opah".
Achievements and awards
- Most Successful Animation, Malaysian Book of Records
- Anugerah Khas Tun Mahathir, Majlis Anugerah ICT NEF - Awani 2010
- Intellectual Property Award - 1st Prize, Malaysian Intellectual Property Day
- Upin & Ipin as ambassadors for Wyeth
- Animasi favourite, Lollipop Award (XY Kids Magazine - Indonesia)
- Brand Leadership Award (for Tuan Hj. Burhanuddin Md. Razi), World Brand Congress 2010
- Best Brands in Animation - Upin & Ipin, The Brandlaureate Awards 2010
- Best Editing and Best Music/Score (Geng: Pengembaraan Bermula), MSC Kreatif Digital Contents Conference
- Best On-Screen Chemistry Award, Shout! Awards
- Anugerah Khas Juri and Anugerah Box Office, 22nd Malaysian Film Festival
- Viewer's Choice Award, Kids Film Festival
- First 3D Animated Feature Film, Malaysian Book of Records
- JT Frank 2009, Global Emerging Innovative Entrepreneur Award
- Winner of MSC - Malaysia Management Game 2009
- President's Award, Malaysia Canada Business Council Business Excellence Awards 2008
- Best of Media Entertainment Category - Merit Award, MSC Malaysia APICTA 2008
- International Achievement Appreciation Award, Malam Penghargaan Industri Filem 2008
- Best Start-Up Company APICTA, Asia Pacific ICT Awards 2007
- Best Animation, Kuala Lumpur International Film Festival 2007
- Best in Media and Entertainment and Best of Start-Up Companies - 2nd place, APICTA (Asia Pacific ICT Awards) 2007
- Best Director (Animation), Best Animated Film (Animation) and Best Short Film, Anugerah Filem Pendek 2006
- Successful Creative Multimedia Member (Animation) 2006, 10th MSC Anniversary (M-CMC Award)
- Best of Tertiary Student Project, APICTA (Asia Pacific ICT Awards) 2005
- Best of 10th Malaysian Video Awards 2005 and Best Short Animated Film (Open Category), 10th Malaysian Video Awards 2005
- Best of Tertiary Student Project, MSC-APICTA 2005
- Best of Multimedia University Collection 2005, Creative Pixels (National Art Gallery)