Les Brown (speaker)
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (May 2021)
|Member of the Ohio House of Representatives|
from the 29th district
January 3, 1977 – January 3, 1983
|Preceded by||William Kopp|
|Succeeded by||Ray Miller|
Leslie Calvin Brown
February 17, 1945
Miami, Florida, United States
(m. 1995; div. 1997)
|Occupation||Politician, motivational speaker|
Leslie Calvin "Les" Brown (born February 17, 1945) is an American motivational speaker. He was married to singer Gladys Knight. He was a member of the Ohio House of Representatives from 1977 to 1981.
Brown was born with his twin brother, Wesley, in Liberty City, a low-income section of Miami, Florida. He was adopted by Mamie Brown, a 38-year-old single woman who worked as a cafeteria attendant and domestic assistant. Brown claims that he was declared "educable mentally retarded" in grade school, which damaged his self-esteem and confidence.
According to many of Brown's speeches, when he first decided to get into public radio he was repeatedly unsuccessful. It was only after the on-air failures of the previous afternoon DJ that he was hired full-time. Upon his termination from the radio station, he ran for election in the Ohio House of Representatives and won. After leaving the Ohio State Legislature, he shifted his career to television and became a host on PBS.
- "Leslie C. Brown | Ohio Statehouse". www.ohiostatehouse.org. Retrieved 2019-03-29.
- "George Washington Williams Room - Legislators". The Ohio Statehouse. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- "Less Les? (The Les Brown Show)". HighBeam Research. 6 December 1993. Archived from the original on 5 November 2012.
- Freeman, Mike (3 January 1994). "King World Productions replaces 'The Les Brown Show' with 'Rolonda Watts'". HighBeam Research. Archived from the original on 5 November 2012.
- "Les Brown Exits KFWB". All Access. Retrieved 2020-01-01.
- Gladys Knight Weds Les Brown. Jet. 1995-10-09.
- "Pain and Glory". People. Vol. 48 no. 23. Retrieved 2017-11-17.