Les Miller Field at Curtis Granderson Stadium
|Former names||Les Miller Field (1996–2013)|
|Location||901 West Roosevelt Road, Chicago, Illinois, USA|
|Owner||University of Illinois at Chicago|
|Operator||University of Illinois at Chicago|
|Field size||330 feet (LF)
374 feet (LCF)
401 feet (CF)
374 feet (RCF)
330 feet (RF)
|Opened||4 May 1996|
|UIC Flames baseball (HL) (1996–present)|
Les Miller Field at Curtis Granderson Stadium is a baseball venue in Chicago, Illinois, United States. It is home to the UIC Flames baseball team of the NCAA Division I Horizon League. The facility has a capacity of 1,000 spectators and is named for Les Miller, UIC head baseball coach from 1949–1979, and Curtis Granderson, an alumnus of the program. During Miller's tenure, the program won over 500 games. Granderson was named conference player of the year with the Flames in 2002 and later played in Major League Baseball. On September 17, 2013, UIC broke ground on a new stadium on the same site, funded in part by donations from alumnus Curtis Granderson. It consists of a new structure housing a press box, dugouts, and grandstand, and was completed for the 2014 season.
In spring 1996, the construction of Les Miller Field was completed. Its first game came on 4 May 1996, against Wright State. In 1998, 1999, 2001, 2008, and 2012, Miller Field hosted the Horizon League Baseball Tournament. Also, the venue has twice hosted the National Amateur All-Star Baseball Tournament.
In 2010, the St. Ignatius College Prep high school baseball team used the field as a temporary home.
The field's features include an artificial turf playing surface, a press box, an electronic scoreboard, dugouts, a brick backstop, a padded outfield wall (added in 2010), restrooms, and concessions. The artificial turf surface was installed prior to the 2008 season.
- "Les Miller Field". UIC Flames. University of Illinois at Chicago Athletic Department. Archived from the original on 30 January 2012. Retrieved 30 January 2012.
- "Former UIC Baseball Coach Les Miller Passes Away". CSTV. 21 February 2007. Archived from the original on 9 May 2012. Retrieved 10 May 2012.
- "Curtis Granderson Stadium Officially Breaks Ground". UIC Flames. 17 September 2013. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "Curtis Granderson Stadium Construction Update - Week One". UIC Flames. 25 September 2013. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- Oren, Paul (27 May 2012). "Crusaders Win Horizon League Tourney, Head to NCAA Baseball Tournament". NWITimes.com. The Times of Northwest Indiana. Archived from the original on 27 May 2012. Retrieved 28 May 2012.
- Hedger, Brian (24 April 2010). "High School Baseball: Without a Varsity Field, St. Ignatius' Bus Has Become Its Home". The Chicago Tribune. Archived from the original on 9 May 2012. Retrieved 10 May 2012.
- "FieldTurf Project at Les Miller Field Nears Completion". CSTV. 9 October 2007. Archived from the original on 9 May 2012. Retrieved 10 May 2012.
- "FieldTurf It Is for UIC's Les Miller Field". Globe Newswire. FieldTurf Tarkett. 1 May 2007. Archived from the original on 9 May 2012. Retrieved 10 May 2012.