1955 or 1956 (age 61–63)|
|Residence||Newport, Wales & Barbados|
|Known for||Former owner of Newport County A.F.C.|
|Television||The Welsh Millionaires Club|
Samantha Peachey (????-2013)
Les Scadding is an English former mechanic who acquired media attention as the winner of £45,500,000 on the EuroMillions lottery in 2009. Following his win, he invested a portion of the money in becoming the major shareholder of Newport County A.F.C., and acted as the club's owner between 2012 and 2015.
Born in Bristol, Scadding and his first wife Rose-Marie had three children. At the time of his lottery win, Scadding had for some time been resident in Newport, Wales, where he lived with his second wife and co-lottery winner, Samantha Peachey-Scadding. Scadding had been unemployed for a year before buying the winning ticket, and had overcome testicular cancer five years earlier.
In June 2009, Scadding and his wife won £45.5 million through the lottery EuroMillions. At that time aged 53, his wife 38, Scadding gave each of his three children from his first marriage an undisclosed seven-figure sum, but did not share any with their mother.
In August 2012, Scadding succeeded Chris Blight as the chairman of Newport County A.F.C., shortly after accepting an offer to join their board of directors. Just over eight months after he took the position, Newport defeated fellow Welsh club Wrexham in the 2013 Conference Premier play-off Final to gain promotion to the Football League following a 25-year absence.
On 18 June 2015, Scadding resigned his positions as both the chairman and a director at Newport County. It was later reported that Scadding wished to spend more time at his holiday home in Barbados.
- "UK Lottery winners are unveiled". BBC News. 10 November 2009. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- Paul Harris (11 November 2009). "'I was destined to win the lottery': £45.5m Euromillions winner is cancer victim who had been out of work for a year". Daily Mail. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- Richard Smith (12 November 2009). "EuroMillions winner Les Scadding's ex-wife: 'I'm pleased for Les, but I would rather have my happiness than his fortune" - exclusive". Mirror. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- Richard Smith (28 November 2009). "£45m lottery winner Les Scadding gives nothing to mother of children". Mirror. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- "Bristol lottery winner shares fortune with children". Bristol Post. 30 November 2009. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- Welsh Millionaires Club
- "Millionaire Les Scadding takes over as Newport County chairman". BBC Sport. 23 August 2012. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- Dewi Hughes (5 May 2013). "Wrexham 0 - 2 Newport County". BBC Sport. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- Scadding resigns