Education and career
Campbell graduated from Sydney University in 1968. She became a member of the Royal College of Physicians in Great Britain and the Royal Australasian College of Physicians in 1973. She joined the Garvan Institute 1979 as a principal researcher and has remained there since and is the group leader of their Diabetes and Obesity Clinical Studies program. She is also director of diabetes services at St Vincent's Hospital in Sydney. She was appointed Professor of Medicine at the University of New South Wales (UNSW). Campbell published more than 240 scientific papers. She is an advocate of an attitude that does not stigmatise those that are overweight or the parents of obese children and points out that 30% of those considered as obese are actually in good health.
Awards and recognition
Campbell was awarded Fellowship of both the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (1977) and the British Royal College of Physicians (1989).
|2014||Sir Kempson Maddox Award from Diabetes Australia – NSW|
|2013||Honorary Life Membership of Australian Diabetes Society|
|2008||Member of the Order of Australia (AM)|
|2001||Medal Swedish Society of Medicine|
|2000||Visiting Fellowship Harvard School of Population Health|
|1989||Fellowship Royal British College of Physicians|
|1977||Fellowship Royal Australasian College of Physicians|
Source: Garvan Institute of Medical Research 
- Campbell, L. V.; Chisholm, D. J. (1999), 'The United Kingdom prospective diabetes study (UKPDS)', in Diabetes in the New Millenium, edn. Original, Endocrinology & Diabetes Research Foundation, Sydney, NSW, pp. 219 - 226 
- Campbell, L.; Rubin, A. L. (2011), 'Diabetes for Dummies', John Wiley & Sons Inc, US. ISBN 9780730375005.
- Campbell, L. (2012), 'Type 2 Diabetes for Dummies', John Wiley & Sons Inc, US. ISBN 9781118303627.
- "Prof Lesley Campbell". Garvan Institute of Medical Research. Retrieved 2019-07-25.
- "Professor Lesley Veronica Campbell AM - St Vincent's Sydney Private". www.svphs.org.au. Retrieved 2019-07-25.
- Wednesday, 8 September 2010 Peter LavelleABC (2010-09-08). "Weight loss may be toxic: study". www.abc.net.au. Retrieved 2019-08-09.
- "Embracing the 'F' word: Fat and proud". www.couriermail.com.au. 2012-08-18. Retrieved 2019-08-09.
- "Neighbours star blasts Swan over kids' weight". NewsComAu. 2012-06-03. Retrieved 2019-08-09.
- "Obesity: lifestyle or genetics?". bodyandsoulau. 2012-03-18. Retrieved 2019-08-09.
- "Professor Lesley Campbell | Medicine". med.unsw.edu.au. Retrieved 2019-07-25.