Leslie B. Vosshall
|Leslie B. Vosshall|
Leslie Vosshall in 2010
July 5, 1965 |
|Institutions||The Rockefeller University|
|Alma mater||Columbia College of Columbia University|
|Doctoral advisor||Michael W. Young|
|Other academic advisors||Richard Axel|
|Known for||insect olfaction|
Leslie Birgit Vosshall, Ph.D., (born July 5, 1965) is an American neurobiologist who is well known for her contributions in the field of olfaction, particularly for the discovery and subsequent characterization of the insect olfactory receptor family.
She received her B.A. from Columbia University in 1987 and her Ph.D. from Rockefeller University in 1993. She then returned to Columbia for a postdoctoral fellowship in the laboratory of future Nobel laureate Richard Axel. She came back to Rockefeller University as assistant professor in 2000, and was promoted to Associate Professor in 2006. In April 2010, she was granted tenure and is currently the Robin Chemers Neustein Professor and Head of the Laboratory of Neurogenetics and Behavior. Vosshall has won numerous awards. In 2001, she received a Beckman Young Investigators Award, and received a McKnight Neuroscience Scholar Award and a National Science Foundation CAREER Award. In 2002, she was named a John Merck Fund Fellow and received the Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers and in 2007, she was named a winner of the 2007 Blavatnik Awards for Young Scientists. She became one of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute's investigators in 2008. In 2010 Vosshall was awarded The Dart/NYU Biotechnology Achievement Award.
- Vosshall LB, Amrein H, Morozov PS, Rzhetsky A, Axel R (March 1999). "A spatial map of olfactory receptor expression in the Drosophila antenna". Cell 96 (5): 725–36. doi:10.1016/S0092-8674(00)80582-6. PMID 10089887.
- Vosshall LB, Wong AM, Axel R (July 2000). "An olfactory sensory map in the fly brain". Cell 102 (2): 147–59. doi:10.1016/S0092-8674(00)00021-0. PMID 10943836.
Selected other publications in chronological order
- Vassar R, Chao SK, Sitcheran R, Nuñez JM, Vosshall LB, Axel R (December 1994). "Topographic organization of sensory projections to the olfactory bulb". Cell 79 (6): 981–91. doi:10.1016/0092-8674(94)90029-9. PMID 8001145.
- Wang JW, Wong AM, Flores J, Vosshall LB, Axel R (January 2003). "Two-photon calcium imaging reveals an odor-evoked map of activity in the fly brain". Cell 112 (2): 271–82. doi:10.1016/S0092-8674(03)00004-7. PMID 12553914.
- Bonner, Joseph (2010-05-17). "The Rockefeller University - Newswire: Leslie Vosshall promoted to professor". Retrieved 2010-06-04.
- Burke, Adrienne (November 2007). "The New York Academy of Sciences - Blavatnik Awards for Young Scientists". Retrieved 2010-06-04.
- Bonner, Joseph (2008-06-02). "The Rockefeller University - Newswire: Two Rockefeller faculty become new HHMI investigators". Retrieved 2009-06-10.
- "Howard Hughes Medical Institute - HHMI News: HHMI Selects 56 of the Nation's Top Scientists". 2008-05-27. Retrieved 2010-06-04.
- "New York University - NYU School of Medicine Presents Three Biomedical Researchers 2010 Dart/NYU Biotechnology Awards for Role of Pure Science". 2010-03-22. Retrieved 2010-06-04.
- Rockefeller search results for Leslie Vosshall
- HHMI: Leslie B. Vosshall, Ph.D. (biography)
- Rockefeller: Vosshall Lab Web Page
|This biography of an American academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|