Leslie E. Kobayashi
|Leslie Emi Kobayashi|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Hawaii|
December 22, 2010
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Helen W. Gillmor|
|Born||1957 (age 59–60)
Mount Holly, New Jersey
|Education||Wellesley College B.A.
Boston College Law School J.D.
Leslie Emi Kobayashi (born 1957) is a United States District Judge for the United States District Court for the District of Hawaii.
Early life and education
Kobayashi was born in 1957 in Mount Holly Township, New Jersey, received her Bachelor of Arts degree from Wellesley College in 1979 and her Juris Doctor from the Boston College Law School in 1983.
Kobayashi worked as a trial attorney and managing partner of the law firm of Fujiyama, Duffy & Fujiyama for a period of 17 years. She worked as a deputy prosecuting attorney in Honolulu before becoming a United States Magistrate Judge on August 2, 1999. She has also taught at the William S. Richardson School of Law.
Federal judicial service
On April 21, 2010 Kobayashi was nominated to a seat as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Hawaii by Barack Obama. She was nominated to fill the seat vacated by Helen Gillmor who took senior status in 2009. The United States Senate confirmed the nomination on December 18, 2010. This makes her the first Japanese American federal judge confirmed during the Obama Administration. She received her commission on December 22, 2010.
- Senate Judiciary Committee Questionnaire: Leslie Emi Kobayashi, (April 19, 2010).
- "Kobayashi, Leslie Emi - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "Kobayashi confirmed as Hawaii U.S. district judge". Honolulu Star-Advertiser. December 18, 2010. Retrieved December 20, 2010.
- "Senate confirms Kobayashi as U.S. District Court judge in Hawaii". KHON. December 18, 2010. Retrieved December 20, 2010.
- "In The News - Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus (CAPAC)". capac.chu.house.gov.
Helen W. Gillmor
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Hawaii