Leslie Joyce Abrams
|Leslie Joyce Abrams|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Georgia|
November 20, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Willie Louis Sands|
|Born||1974 (age 42–43)
|Education||Brown University B.A.
Yale Law School J.D.
Leslie Joyce Abrams (born 1974) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Georgia and former Assistant United States Attorney.
Abrams is the daughter of the Reverend Carolyn and the Reverend Robert Abrams of Hattiesburg, Mississippi, one of six children. Her sister, Stacey Abrams, is the House Minority Leader in the Georgia General Assembly, representing the 89th District, which includes parts of DeKalb County. Abrams received a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1997 from Brown University. She received a Juris Doctor in 2002 from Yale Law School. She began her career serving as a law clerk for Judge Marvin J. Garbis of the United States District Court for the District of Maryland. She served as an associate at the law firm of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher and Flom LLP, from 2003 to 2006 and again from 2007 to 2010. She served as an associate at the law firm of Kilpatrick Stockton LLP, from 2006 to 2007. From 2010 to 2014, she served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Northern District of Georgia.
Federal judicial service
On March 11, 2014, President Obama nominated Abrams to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Georgia, to the seat being vacated by Judge Willie Louis Sands, who took senior status on April 12, 2014. She received a hearing before the full panel of the United States Senate Judiciary Committee on May 13, 2014. On June 19, 2014 her nomination was reported out of committee by voice vote. On November 12, 2014 Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid filed for cloture on her nomination. On Monday, November 17, 2014 cloture was invoked by a vote of 68-28. On Tuesday, November 18, 2014 the Senate confirmed her by a vote of 100-0. She received her judicial commission on November 20, 2014.
- "President Obama Nominates Leslie Joyce Abrams to Serve on the United States District Court for the Middle District of Georgia". 11 March 2014.
- "Abrams, Leslie Joyce - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate". 11 March 2014.
- "Judicial Nominations". United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary.
- "Executive Business Meeting" (PDF). United States Senate. Committee on the Judiciary. Retrieved 19 June 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 277. United States Senate. Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 281. United States Senate. Retrieved 18 November 2014.
Willie Louis Sands
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Georgia