Leslie T. Chang
Leslie T. Chang (Chinese: 張彤禾; pinyin: Zhāng Tónghé) is a Chinese-American journalist and the author of Factory Girls: From Village to City in a Changing China (2008). A former China correspondent for the Wall Street Journal, she has been described as "an insightful interpreter of a society in flux."
In response to the negative press surrounding working conditions in Chinese factories, Chang decided to explore the subject from the perspective of the workers. In 2004 she traveled to the South Central China factory city of Dongguan to document the lives of Wu Chunming and Lu Qingmin, two migrant workers who were born to poor farming families. The book follows their lives over three years and also includes the author's own family history of migration within China and to the West.
Factory Girls was named one of the New York Times 100 Notable Books of 2008 and also received the 2009 PEN USA Literary Award for Research Nonfiction and the Asian American Literary Award for nonfiction. According to Chang's website, translations are forthcoming in French, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Finnish, Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, and Arabic.
- "China's New Working Class". The Washington Post. October 22, 2008. Retrieved June 5, 2010.
- French, Howard W (October 21, 2008). "Books of The Times: Dynamic Young Engines Driving China's Epic Boom". The New York Times. Retrieved June 4, 2010.
- "100 Notable Books of 2008". The New York Times. November 26, 2008. Retrieved June 6, 2010.
- PEN Center USA 2009 Literary Awards Archived April 5, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- Page Turner - The Asian American Literary Festival: Awards Archived 2010-10-27 at the Wayback Machine.
- Leslie T. Chang, Book Reviews
- 从江城过客到中国行者：海斯勒家族的中国情结 [Hessler's China Connection] (in Chinese). Sina. 21 January 2013. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- Author Spotlight, Random House
- Chang, Leslie T. (2008). Factory Girls: From Village to City in a Changing China. Spiegel & Grau. ISBN 0-385-52018-2.
- Holding Up the Sky, Sunday Book Review, The New York Times
- The China Beat: Factory Girls
- Factory Girls reviews
- Leslie T. Chang official website
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Leslie T. Chang at TED