Lester Shum in 2017
|57th Deputy Secretary General of Hong Kong Federation of Students|
1 April 2014 – 31 March 2015
|Secretary General||Alex Chow|
|Preceded by||Willis Ho|
|Succeeded by||Wong Ka-fai|
|Born||1993 (age 25–26)|
|Nationality||Hong Kong Chinese|
|Education||Chinese University of Hong Kong|
Lester Shum (Chinese: 岑敖暉; born 1993) is a Hong kong social activist. He served as deputy secretary-general of the Hong Kong Federation of Students (HKFS) from April 2014 to March 2015 and a leader of the 2014 pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong. He currently serves as an assistant to lawmaker Chu Hoi-dick.
Shum completed his secondary education at Sheng Kung Hui Tsang Shiu Tim Secondary School before entering The Chinese University of Hong Kong, majoring initially in Information Engineering but later switching to Government and Public Administration.
His political awakening came from the popular internet forum Hong Kong Golden Forum. He was Vice-President (External) of the Student Union of the CUHK 2013-2014, and then became deputy secretary-general of the Hong Kong Federation of Students (HKFS). In that role, he helped lead the 2014 class boycott campaign against the decision of the National People's Congress Standing Committee (NPCSC) which set the framework of the restrictive electoral method on the 2017 Chief Executive election. The student movement led to the massive Occupy protests in September 2014. He was one of the five-member HKFS delegation to held talk with the government officials led by Chief Secretary for Administration Carrie Lam in October 2014. He was detained by the police in October 2014 after being arrested during a sit-in in July. On 26 November, he was arrested after he failed to comply with an injunction to clear the protest site in Mong Kok. In 2018, he was plead guilty and was handed suspended sentence.
In April 2019, Shum filed a judicial review against, and sought an injunction to block, the Hong Kong government's planned transferral of a prime Central Harbourfront site to the unfettered control of the Chinese army. The action followed long-running public concern at the proposed transfer, which contradicted undertakings by the governmment to maintain public access to and usage of the harbourfront.
- "佔領結束3年 岑敖暉終認美籍".
- Activist Lester Shum files legal challenge against gov’t plan for Chinese army dock on Hong Kong harbour, Hong Kong Free Press, 10 April 2019
- 【壹週刊】文青遇上高登仔 周永康、岑敖暉 (When Hipster meets "Golden son" - Lester Shum and Alex Chow). Apple Daily, 2014, 9(21)：
- "Hong Kong student leaders arrested as police attempt to clear protest zone". The Guardian. 26 November 2014. Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- "Mong Kok Umbrella Movement: 4 democracy activists handed suspended sentences over Occupy clearance". Hong Kong Free Press. 28 November 2017. Retrieved 28 November 2017.
- Lester Shum seeks to challenge PLA dock decision, RTHK, 10-04-2019