Let's Go (will.i.am song)
|Song by will.i.am featuring Chris Brown|
|from the album #willpower|
|Released||April 19, 2013|
"Let's Go" is a song by will.i.am that features Chris Brown, which was part of the former's fourth studio album #willpower before being removed in November 2013. The reason for the song's removal was due to the unlicensed sampling of "Rebound" by Arty and Mat Zo. It was replaced with "Feelin' Myself" on the re-release.
The song heavily samples "Rebound" by Arty and Mat Zo. Arty made the claim via Twitter in April 2013 that Interscope Records had not asked for permission from Anjunabeats before will.i.am sampled "Rebound". Chris Brown stated in a tweet that he didn't know of the track's original source and claimed that he performed it due to a feature request. A statement was released by Anjunabeats that even though credit was given to Arty in the sleeve notes, doing so is not an appropriate way to obtain permission of clearing a sample, which was done following on from Arty's Twitter claim. Anjunabeats issued this statement in response to when will.i.am was quoted as telling the Associated Press in self-defence:
"You can't steal if you credited somebody. He and I communicated. ... It's not my fault he didn't tell me about the other guy. So who is to blame? I didn't know."
In a later interview for KIIS-FM, will.i.am went on to admit that he accidentally stole "Rebound" with the sample and was confused whether or not he had the right to use it for "Let's Go". The situation was elaborated on by will.i.am: "Arty is a dope producer so I wrote this song to 'Rebound' this last year. I got in touch with Arty and showed it to him, did a different version to it 'cause I asked him [to] make it newer 'cause I don't just wanna take your song and rap over it. But he said that after a year's time, "we preferred writing over and using the [original] rebound. Something happened and the clearance... hopefully we resolved the issue". The song was removed on the re-release of #willpower on November 26, 2013 and replaced as the fifth track on the album with "Feelin' Myself" after will.i.am contacted the owners of "Rebound" for negotiation. However, the audio was not deleted from will.i.am's Vevo account on YouTube.
|US Hot Dance/Electronic Songs (Billboard)||38|
- Kernan, Brett (April 23, 2013). "Will.i.am rips off Arty and Mat Zo's 'Rebound' for latest single [Updated]". Dancing Astronaut. Archived from the original on August 6, 2017. Retrieved March 9, 2019.
- "will.i.am Accused Of Ripping Arty & Mat Zo's Track For New Single, 'Let's Go'". Huffington Post. April 16, 2013. Retrieved March 9, 2019.
- Pearson, Ryan (May 3, 2013). "Will.i.Am & '#WillPower': The Face Of Intel & Coca-Cola Says He Wants To Create, But There's One Huge Problem". Huffington Post. Associated Press. Retrieved March 9, 2019.
- Montgomery, James (February 5, 2013). "Will.i.am Didn't Have Permission to Use Arty & Mat Zo's 'Rebound,' Label Says". MTV. Archived from the original on May 1, 2017. Retrieved March 9, 2019.
- "Will.i.am Says He Accidentally Stole a Song". Billboard. April 23, 2013. Archived from the original on July 4, 2017. Retrieved March 9, 2019.
- Blistein, Jon (April 23, 2013). "Will.i.am Admits to Borrowing 'Let's Go' Beat Without Permission". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on December 22, 2017. Retrieved March 9, 2019.
- Woollacott, Emma (April 24, 2013). "Will.i.am Admits Stealing Song - Accidentally". Forbes. Archived from the original on October 3, 2015. Retrieved March 9, 2019.
- "#willpower (Deluxe) by will.i.am. on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved March 9, 2019.
- williamVEVO (2013-04-16), will.i.am - Let's Go ft. Chris Brown (Audio), retrieved 2019-03-29
- Sachs, Elliot (June 27, 2013). "Mat Zo Pokes Fun at will.i.am at Electric Daisy Carnival". Your EDM. Archived from the original on August 5, 2017. Retrieved March 10, 2019.
- "will.i.am Chart History (Hot Dance/Electronic Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved March 9, 2019.