Let It Rain (David Nail song)
|"Let It Rain"|
|Single by David Nail featuring Sarah Buxton|
|from the album The Sound of a Million Dreams|
|Released||February 7, 2011|
|David Nail singles chronology|
"Let It Rain" is a song co-written and recorded by American country music singer David Nail. Sarah Buxton sings backing vocals on the song. It was released in February 2011 as the first single from his album The Sound of a Million Dreams, which was released in November 2011. It is his third Top 20, second Top 10 and first Top 5 hit on Hot Country Songs. On the chart week of January 21, 2012, it became both Nail's and Buxton's first Number One hit.
Co-writer Jonathan Singleton, who also co-wrote Nail's 2009 single "Red Light", told the website Taste of Country that they came up with the idea for the song while talking about movies that they enjoyed. They recalled a movie where "this guy cheats on his girlfriend, and he goes to her house and decides he’s going to sit on her porch until she lets him in." They said that they did not find the situation plausible and Singleton added, "If it was a southern girl or [David's wife] or my wife, the first thing they’d do is throw all our stuff on the porch with us." Instead of having the male narrator say "I deserve whatever I get, if she never talks to me again", Nail decided to have the character say "that I’m human just like everyone else and you mess up".
Sam Gazdziak of Engine 145 gave the song a "thumbs up". He did not think that the song had "anything here to distinguish it as a country song" and thought that the song "does fall victim to the bombast", but praised Nail's voice and the details in the lyrics. Bobby Peacock of Roughstock rated it three-and-a-half stars out of five, also saying that the lyrics had "interesting details" and describing Nail as "strong [and] soulful", although he thought that the song's hook did not work because "there's no other 'rain' motif anywhere else".
It debuted in April 2011; Stephen Shepherd directed. It features David singing while the woman he was with the night before showers and changes. He looks around and it appears he feels guilty.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||51|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||51|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||50|
"Keep Me in Mind"
by Zac Brown Band
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
January 21, 2012
"Drink in My Hand"
by Eric Church
- Menachem, Michael (26 January 2011). "David Nail, 'Let It Rain' – Song Spotlight". Taste of Country. Retrieved 11 September 2011.
- Conaway, Alanna. "David Nail, 'Let It Rain' – Lyrics Uncovered". Taste of Country. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
- Duvall, Erin (27 May 2011). "David Nail Cherishes Taylor's Tweets". The Boot. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
- Gazdziak, Sam (14 February 2011). "David Nail — "Let It Rain"". Engine 145. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
- Peacock, Bobby (4 March 2011). "David Nail — "Let It Rain"". Roughstock. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
- "David Nail debuts "Let It Rain" vid". RTT News. 15 April 2011. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
- Trust, Gary (15 January 2012). "Ask Billboard: Say Good 'Night' to Gaga's Streak?". Billboard. Retrieved 4 February 2012.
- "David Nail – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for David Nail.
- "David Nail – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for David Nail.
- "Best of 2011: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- "Best of 2012: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2012. Retrieved December 14, 2012.