Let the Sun Shine
|"Let the Sun Shine"|
|Single by Labrinth|
|from the album Electronic Earth|
|Released||27 September 2010|
|Labrinth singles chronology|
"Let the Sun Shine" is the debut single from English musician, Labrinth. It was produced and written by Labrinth and Da Digglar, and was released on 27 September 2010 on Simco Ltd and Sony Records. The single is available on iTunes as an extended-play, which also includes 4 remixes of the song.
Labrinth told the story behind this song to The Sun on 24 September 2010: "It was influenced by the sun coming up. I was working in my little studio in my bedroom. My brother was sleeping in the bunk bed behind me and kept waking up saying, 'Keep it down, you're making too much noise.' At that time, I felt I was learning so much musically and it felt like the most perfect moment writing that track with the first rays of sun shining into the room. People listen to it and they say it sounds like a 'eureka!' moment and it was."
Robert Copsey of Digital Spy gave the song a positive review:
...for starters Labbers has something no amount of studio trickery can create: soul. While the track's beat is reminiscent of many a Taio/Derülo/Ne-Yo number, his passionate performance and heartfelt lyrics about letting go of negativity set him strides apart from the current crop of robopop vocalists - and with a chorus that fuses gospel, funk and R&B, it certainly feels worthy of a eureka moment. Oh, and as if we couldn't be any more impressed, apparently there’s even a "Cyndi Lauper-esque track" waiting on his album. Bring. It. On.
Having been predicted to debut at number 2 behind Tinie Tempah's "Written in the Stars", "Let the Sun Shine" debuted at number 3 on 3 October 2010 behind Tempah and Bruno Mars with "Just the Way You Are"; marking Labrinth's third Top 5 hit (including the two collaborations with Tempah). The single also debuted on the Irish Singles Chart at number 32 on 7 October 2010. As of March 2012, "Let the Sun Shine" has sold 311,529 copies in the United Kingdom.
- Digital download
- "Let the Sunshine" – 2:59
- "Let the Sunshine" (Joey Negro Radio Remix) – 3:13
- "Let the Sunshine" (Dave Spoon Remix) – 5:50
- "Let the Sunshine" (Roller Express Remix) – 4:38
- "Let the Sunshine" (A Star Remix) (featuring Wretch 32) – 4:12
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||3|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||3|
|Germany||26 September 2010||Digital download|
|27 September 2010||CD single|
- Robert Copsey. "Labrinth: 'Sunshine'". Digital Spy. digitalspy.co.uk.
- "Official Chart Analysis: Paul Weller LP sells 30k, Katy Perry single shifts 79k". Retrieved 23 June 2012.
- Let the Sun Shine - EP
- "Chart Track: Week 40, 2010". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Archive Chart: 2010-10-09". Scottish Singles Top 40.
- "Archive Chart: 2010-10-09" UK Singles Chart.