Jefferies Financial Group
|Leucadia National Corporation|
Ian M. Cumming|
Joseph S. Steinberg
|Headquarters||New York City|
Richard B. Handler, CEO|
Brian P. Friedman, President
Joseph S. Steinberg, Chairman
|Revenue||US$11.436 billion (2017)|
|US$167.4 million (2017)|
|Total assets||US$47.2 billion (2017)|
|Total equity||US$10.1 billion (2017)|
Number of employees
|12,700, including consolidated subsidiaries (2017)|
The company's major holdings are as follows:
- Jefferies Group (100%) - investment banking & capital markets
- Berkadia Commercial Mortgage (50/50 joint venture with Berkshire Hathaway) - commercial mortgage banking, investment sales and servicing
- HomeFed (65% ownership) - real estate
- FXCM (49.9%) - online foreign exchange trading
- Foursight Capital (100%) - vehicle finance
- National Beef Packing Company (79%) - beef processing
- HRG Group (23%) - insurance and consumer products
- Vitesse Energy (96%) - oil and gas exploration and development
- Juneau Energy (98%) - oil and gas exploration and development
- Garcadia Holdings (75%, Joint venture with Ken Garff Automotive Group) - automobile dealerships
- Linkem (57%) - fixed wireless broadband services
- Golden Queen (35%) - a gold and silver mining project
- Idaho Timber (100%) - manufacturing
In 1979, they gained control of Talcott National Corporation, sold the James Talcott Factors division, and, in 1980, they renamed the company Leucadia.
In 2002, the company received a 44% stake in WilTel Communications Group as a result of a bankruptcy reorganization.
In May 2003, the company made an offer to acquire the remaining shares of WilTel Communications Group that it did not already own.
In August 2003, after increasing its offer, the company acquired the remaining shares of WilTel Communications Group.
In September 2003, the company acquired RehabWorks.
In 2005, the company sold WilTel Communications Group to Level 3 Communications for a $180 million profit.
In 2009, the company entered into a 50/50 joint venture with Berkshire Hathaway called Berkadia, which acquired the North American loan origination and servicing business of Capmark Financial Group.
In 2016, the company restructured its investment in FXCM.
- Leucadia National Corporation 2017 Form 10-K Annual Report
- Prang, Allison (2018-04-09). "Leucadia to Focus More on Financial Business". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- Staff (May 23, 2018). "BRIEF-Leucadia National Corp Changes Name To Jefferies Financial Group Inc". Reuters. Retrieved May 28, 2018.
- CRUDELE, JOHN (May 25, 1985). "LEUCADIA: SUCCESSFUL LONER". The New York Times.
- KOLODY, TRACY (April 6, 1991). "Fpl Group Finds Buyer For Insurer Colonial Penn Brings In $150 Million". Sun-Sentinel.
- "Conseco Planning to Acquire Colonial Penn". Bloomberg News. The New York Times. May 1, 1997.
- "GE Capital to Buy Colonial Penn". Reuters. Los Angeles Times. July 1, 1997.
- "Allstate to buy 2 Leucadia companies". Bloomberg News. Deseret News. December 22, 1998.
- "Williams Communications emerges from bankruptcy as WilTel". American City Business Journals. October 16, 2002.
- "Leucadia National Corporation Proposes to Acquire WilTel Communications Group, Inc. Common Stock" (Press release). Business Wire. May 15, 2003.
- "Hardware: Leucadia To Acquire Remainder Of Wiltel". Bloomberg News. The New York Times. August 13, 2003.
- George, John (September 29, 2003). "Leucadia National buys RehabWorks". American City Business Journals.
- Swarts, Will (January 12, 2004). "Gotham Partners' Ackman Back in Hedge Fund Game". TheStreet.com.
- BELSON, KEN (July 13, 2004). "Leucadia Seeks to Buy Controlling Stake in MCI". The New York Times.
- Tharp, Paul (July 13, 2004). "LEUCADIA EYES MCI TAKEOVER". The New York Post.
- Stern, Christopher (September 28, 2004). "Declared Suitor Sells Its Stake In MCI". The Washington Post.
- "Leucadia National Corporation Completes Sale of WilTel Communications Group, LLC to Level 3 Communications, Inc" (Press release). Business Wire. December 23, 2005.
- "Gaylord Sells Mainland ResortQuest Business". Hotel Business Review. June 5, 2007.
- "Berkadia Commercial Mortgage LLC Completes Acquisition of Capmark's North American Loan Origination and Servicing Business" (Press release). Business Wire. December 11, 2009.
- "Wyndham to buy ResortQuest for $56 million". Bloomberg News. NJ.com. September 22, 2010.
- "Leucadia National Corporation Announces Agreement to Acquire Control of National Beef and Declares $0.25 Per Share Cash Dividend" (Press release). Business Wire. December 5, 2011.
- Hawleyt, Brenna (December 6, 2011). "National Beef owners reach $867.9M deal to sell majority stake to Leucadia". American City Business Journals.
- Murtaugh, Dan (January 12, 2012). "Illinois ruling hurts Leucadia synthetic gas proposal". The Birmingham News.
- "Leucadia National Corporation and Jefferies Group, Inc. Merger to Be Effective March 1, 2013" (Press release). Business Wire. February 28, 2013.
- Stone, Mike; Chavez-Dreyfuss, Gertrude; Toonkel, Jessica (January 16, 2015). "FX broker FXCM gets rescue from Jefferies parent Leucadia". Reuters.
- "Leucadia and FXCM Complete Long-Term Partnership Agreement" (Press release). GlobeNewswire. September 1, 2016.