Leutershausen, market place with the historic town gate
|• Mayor||Sandra Bonnemeier (without party affiliation)|
|• Total||84.11 km2 (32.48 sq mi)|
|Elevation||426 m (1,398 ft)|
|• Density||66/km2 (170/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Leutershausen was probably founded by Frankish settlers around 800. For the first time it is referred to in a privilege of Emperor Otto III. as "Liuthereshusunin" in 1000.
Leutershausen has a sportsclub, called TV 1862 Leutershausen. As said in the name it was founded in 1862 and has since organised sport events at the local stadium and provides training in seven different disciplines, the biggest being football and athletics. Furthermore, there are table tennis, tennis, gymnastics, triathlon and ball game departments. In June 2012 there was a big celebration weekend due to the 150th anniversary of the TV Leutershausen including the traditional Maikränzchen athletics competition and Public Viewing of the 2012 Euros. The Heinrich Beck Halle, which seats 1,200, is an arena primarily used for team handball.
- St. Peter's Church
- Historic citywall
- Historic County Court Building
- Gustave Whitehead Museum
- Gustave Whitehead Memorial
- Museum of local history
- Leutershausen has restored one of its pre-war synagogues.
Since 2000 Leutershausen is twinned with the Hungarian town of Szendrö.
- Gustave Whitehead, German-American aviation pioneer
- Christopher McNaughton, German basketball player, playing for the German national team
- Paula Kissinger (née Stern), mother of American Secretary of State and Nobel Prize recipient Henry Kissinger
- "Fortschreibung des Bevölkerungsstandes". Bayerisches Landesamt für Statistik und Datenverarbeitung (in German). September 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Leutershausen.|
- Gustave Whitehead Museum (German)
- Gustave Whitehead's Flying Machines
- Air Sports International — Did He Actually Fly Before The Wright Brothers?
- History Net — Gustave Whitehead and the First-Flight Controversy
- Wright Brothers Aeroplane Company
- The History of Lordship! at www.lordshiphistory.com
- Flight Journal magazine, "The Who Flew First Debate" Oct 1998 by O'Dwyer, William J.
- Gustave Whitehead: The Viking of Flight
- The Pioneers, Gustav Weißkopf links
- Voices of several persons mentioned in the article