Leverano

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Leverano
Comune
Comune di Leverano
Church and convent of Santa Maria delle Grazie
Church and convent of Santa Maria delle Grazie
Leverano is located in Italy
Leverano
Leverano
Location of Leverano in Italy
Coordinates: 40°17′N 18°5′E / 40.283°N 18.083°E / 40.283; 18.083Coordinates: 40°17′N 18°5′E / 40.283°N 18.083°E / 40.283; 18.083
Country Italy
Region Apulia
Province Lecce (LE)
Government
 • Mayor Marcello Rolli
Area
 • Total 49.5 km2 (19.1 sq mi)
Elevation 37 m (121 ft)
Population (30 September 2017)[1]
 • Total 14,283
 • Density 290/km2 (750/sq mi)
Demonym(s) Leveranesi
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 73045
Dialing code 0832
Patron saint St. Roch
Saint day 16 August
Website Official website

Leverano (Salentino: Liranu) is a town and comune in the province of Lecce in the southeastern part of the Apulia region of south-east Italy. It is bounded by the comuni of Arnesano, Carmiano, Copertino, Nardò and Veglie.

History[edit]

Leverano was severely destroyed by the Ostrogoth Totila, it was also destroyed by the Arabs in the 9th century. A tower was later built in 1220 and it protected against pirate raids. The tower is built with Norman architecture.

Leverano DOC[edit]

The area around Leverano produces both red, white and rose Italian DOC wine, though the region produces vastly more red wine than anything else. The grapes are limited to a harvest yield of 15 tonnes/ha. Red wines must have a finished alcohol level of at least 12% and are composed of at least 65% Negroamaro and up to 35% of the assorted blend of Malvasia, Sangiovese and Montepulciano. White wines must have a minimum alcohol level of at least 11% and be composed by at least 65% Malvasia bianca with Trebbiano and Bombino bianco allowed to make up the remaining 35%.[2]

Twinning[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ Population from ISTAT
  2. ^ P. Saunders Wine Label Language pg 172 Firefly Books 2004 ISBN 1-55297-720-X

External links[edit]